BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my Midland 75-830 CB radio hasn't worked probably since before I bought the bike. It wouldn't work or even receive the WX radio even off the bike with the battery pack and antenna attached.

I was hoping to replace it with another 75-830 so I could have a plug and play replacement, but that didn't work out. Midland had already told me that the 12 volt power supply from the 75-830 would NOT work with the new model 75-822. I knew that with some removal of tupperware and a bit of "redneck engineering" it could be made to work. My wife even decided to suprise me with a 75-822 from J&M.

First off the power supplies are reversed and some of the contacts are in different places so that ruled out the use of a dremel tool. :rolleyes: What I decided to was just cut the old wires and use butt connectors to connect the old wiring to the new power supply. That was a piece of cake. But then I noticed what else Midland changed. The plug for the mic on the old unit was a 1/8" plug and the speaker was a 3/32" plug. The mic plug on the new unit is now a 3/32" and the speaker is a 1/8"! They reversed them! :mad: Bastards!!! So now it meant a trip to Radio Shack for adapter plugs. Everything is wired in and now appears to be working. The new unit has sound, squelch and picks up the WX radio (but the bike already has that). I key the mic up and the TX bar now goes up! Not exactly plug and play and the plug adapters make the already larger unit larger. Oh and this unit remembers the last channel you were on when you turned it off! :D

So it can be done! And if you're patient and confident with your wiring abilities you don't need to take off any tupperware. I even used telephone wire butt connectors because of the smal guage of the wires.

WHEW!

The old radio is on the left and the new one is on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Chris nice job. I was in the same boat as you and was able to purchase a unit from a list member.
I to saw the flip of the mike power etc. The CB is a good tool to have when you are out of cell space etc.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Murray.

I would've left it alone and gone the FRS but none of the guys I ride with have the FRS option on their Gold Wings and Harleys. The old one wouldn't even receive or make sound on or off the bike. So this one is already doing more than the old one!

Luckily my bike already had a Midland CB installed so my replacement went fairly easy and didn't need to take any tupperware off.

Over the weeken I'll probably "clean up" the electrical tape covering the butt connectors or get some wire sheath to put over it.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
Oh and this unit remembers the last channel you were on when you turned it off! :D .

Good Job Chris!

Actually (unless you have it powered full time) it only remembers it for a while...after several hours it reverts back to channel 9. At least you can generally make it through a day without having to change it back before each segment of your ride.

Ron

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
blueknightga6 said:
Over the weeken I'll probably "clean up" the electrical tape covering the butt connectors or get some wire sheath to put over it.
I use line tape from home depot great stuff. Found in the electrical department.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cfell said:
That's about middle of the road on price. It's the same price J&M sells it for but my wife says J&M also has free shipping. Midland is the highest at $124.95! I've seen new ones on E-bay in the mid 80's priced range but don't know what they charge to ship.

Also J&M was excellent about answering questions BEFORE the sale. From what I hear, Sierra would've been the same way. I'm not so sure about "Frank's Radios" (made up name) on E-bay though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts