BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This site has been a life saver in many instances. Been having issues with the battery. Came on quickly. Just replaced with new battery from beemerboneyard. Lights are strong. I press the starter button - nothing! No click, lights don't dim. Bought the 2003 LT, 3 years and 40,000 miles ago. Had a new battery installed when I purchased it. I've never used the anti theft. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I think your computer may need to be re-set.
Do a search on this forum for that, it has been documented before.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
This is really scratching the old memory circuits, but check for a second line to the battery from the starter area that was missed in the battery hok-up. It will be at the front left of the battery area.

From your description, the load shed relay is not being triggered. This relay is grounded through the starter (i.e., the relay is normally grounds through the starter, but when the starter button is pressed, +12V is applied to the ground side of the load relief relay, effectively releasing the relay because its coil is seeing +12V at both ends -- so no relay-actuating voltage drop across the coil). Sounds like the wire to the starter is not hooked up, so no way for +12V from the starter to go back upstream to the load relief relay.

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
did you check the battery, make sure it's throwing 12v? Possible that wherever you bought it didn't charge it enough/properly and there's enough juice for the lights but not much else.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Most likely you have missed one of the many wires on one of the posts. Also make sure your kill switch isn't activated, you're not in gear, etc. If you have the anti-theft installed I think you need to reprogram the computer to the FOB whether you use it or not for the bike to start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts