BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only replaced my transmission fluid once before, but I didn't notice this much difference. On Friday, I replaced my engine oil and filter, the FD oil and the transmission oil. When I went out for the obligatory test ride afterward, there was a noticeable difference when coasting to a stop. I found that I was using much more of the brakes and the engine wasn't providing the stopping power it had before the fluid changes.

My MPG calculation on my motorcycle has been climbing steadily too. I was getting 38mpg in the winter and 42.7mpg during summer. I haven't changed my route or riding speed. Since Friday, my mpg calculation has climbed up to 44.7mpg. Has anybody else experienced this?

I change my engine and FD oils every 6k and the transmission every 30k. I'm thinking that it might be worth it to increase the frequency of the transmission oil replacement.

·
Registered
876 Posts
10%+ change in energy consumption ! seems a lot of difference, should show up somewhere as heat. Can't say I've ever noticed any differences other than a little lighter shifting after a gearbox oil cahnge.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Placebo effect.

Reactions: Tricky_dickey

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
you'd be getting 120 mpg if you used Amsoil...

I changed my trans every 12,000, final drive every oil change, probably overkill but cheap insurance and I always noticed better shifting after changing.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Reactions: Tricky_dickey

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You guys may be correct. After another ride to work this morning my mileage average is down to 44.2mpg. I'm not sure why it started to climb so quickly. I never reset it. My computer has always been rather accurate about my mileage when compared to manually calculating during a tank refill so I've come to trust it.

On my bike, I have found that the fuel efficiency is typically only effected by the change of season (winter), when I put the shield up, flaps out, and turn the heaters on.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
You guys may be correct. After another ride to work this morning my mileage average is down to 44.2mpg. I'm not sure why it started to climb so quickly. I never reset it. My computer has always been rather accurate about my mileage when compared to manually calculating during a tank refill so I've come to trust it.

On my bike, I have found that the fuel efficiency is typically only effected by the change of season (winter), when I put the shield up, flaps out, and turn the heaters on.
Many things affect MPG. Temp, humidity, traffic, your throttle hand, type of gas (ethanol content mainly), phase of the moon ... OK kidding on that last one!

·
Registered
230 Posts

That explains it..the bike computer is not very accurate at all.
It's best to hand calculate with a calculator.

later...Randy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That explains it..the bike computer is not very accurate at all.
It's best to hand calculate with a calculator.

later...Randy
My computer has been historically very accurate. So accurate that I stopped doing the hand calculations at the pump. I've only changed the transmission fluid once before this, so I haven't had many chances to take note of any side effects.

With this last change, I had the computer on the MPG calculation display and I noticed that the gas mileage calculation climbed very rapidly on the first tank of gas after I changed all the fluids. The next tank however....the calculation started to level off, and then it began dropping. As I refilled each time, I noticed that the mileage calculation kept creeping lower. After 3 tanks of gas, my mpg calculation is back to its normal range of 41.5-42.5. I have no idea why this happened since I did not do anything out of the ordinary other than the transmission fluid change, so I thought I would post it. Maybe others will pay attention the next time they change the transmission fluid on their bike and see the same thing....I don't know??? Doesn't matter, it was very short lived over a span of 150 miles....then things started to come back to their norm.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Chad, once in awhile I'll get a tank of gas which gets much better mileage than normal. I attribute this to the batch of fuel and how much percentage of jet fuel, diesel fuel, or premium gas happens to be in that particular tanker. The way fuel is shipped these days in the pipelines allows a certain percentage of cross contamination between fuel types. I suspect that's what causes the great mileage occasionally.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The time has come to present new data.

If your gas mileage is in the low 40's there is something wrong with the bike. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what that something is. I am reviving this thread because my gas mileage has recently increased by 15-18%. I am only presenting the data. Use it or ignore....I don't care.

So, my bike would get around 50 mpg when I lived in Virginia back in 2009. I moved to upstate NY in 2010 and within that first year, I noticed that I my mileage dropped into the low 40's. In the winter, I even saw some tanks in the upper 30's. On this thread, I mentioned that I noticed a slight rise in gas mileage after I changed my transmission fluid, but after everyone attributed the gains to a 'magic' tank of gas or my imagination, I really didn't want to continue to mention that I saw the same increase after each change of engine and FD oil. But, with each short term gain my mileage would once again settle back to the low 40's after the 3-4th tank of gas. It was fun to watch, but I really could not explain why it consistently happened after each oil change.

Here's my current story: I was going on a 6-7 hour ride from upstate NY to southern PA at the end of July, so I wanted to change the fluids beforehand. I went to Wal-mart and bought all of the cheap-ass oil and the $3.50 filter that I always use. Performed the same procedure that I always do (nothing special), then I strapped my golf bag to the passenger seat and headed south. Even with all the extra drag from my golf bag sticking out to the sides, I noticed my mileage starting to climb again. I didn't need to refill until I was at 260 miles when my prior range was typically 240. I spent a couple of days in south PA and continued to watch the mileage calculation increase as I puttered around my old home town for a few days (not even on the highway).

During my return trip to NY I noticed that I was able to go 275 miles comfortably before I needed to purchase gasoline. I hadn't seen that range in years. My gas mileage after 4 tanks of gas was continuing to increase to nearly 47mpg. I've been back in NY for 3 weeks now and I've been through another 8 tanks of gas. Currently my mileage is calculated to be 49.1mpg and my range was 292 miles on that last tank before I felt nervous about making it to the next exit.

I only wrote this to let you know that there was something wrong with my bike for the past 5 years, but I can't tell you what it was. I am certain that it was associated in some way with my oil changes. If you experience the same symptoms, well....I wish I could help. Right now, I'm debating if I will ever change my oil again.

After my last oil change and the trip to PA, my bike seems to revving smoother and I don't hear as much 'rattle and pinging' noises coming from the engine (not that it was real bad before...). The bike gives me the impression that it is 'gliding and coasting' with more ease between the gears and during 'throttle down' as if the engine breaking has been greatly reduced. I swear, I've done nothing more than my standard oil change. I leave it at that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmm. What the hell happened to my old account? Interesting that I am logged in with my full name.... Did I miss something? I know that I haven't posted in a few months, but hey...?

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Re: The time has come to present new data.

If your gas mileage is in the low 40's there is something wrong with the bike. Unfortunately, I can't tell you what that something is. I am reviving this thread because my gas mileage has recently increased by 15-18%. I am only presenting the data. Use it or ignore....I don't care.

So, my bike would get around 50 mpg when I lived in Virginia back in 2009. I moved to upstate NY in 2010 and within that first year, I noticed that I my mileage dropped into the low 40's. In the winter, I even saw some tanks in the upper 30's. On this thread, I mentioned that I noticed a slight rise in gas mileage after I changed my transmission fluid, but after everyone attributed the gains to a 'magic' tank of gas or my imagination, I really didn't want to continue to mention that I saw the same increase after each change of engine and FD oil. But, with each short term gain my mileage would once again settle back to the low 40's after the 3-4th tank of gas. It was fun to watch, but I really could not explain why it consistently happened after each oil change.

Here's my current story: I was going on a 6-7 hour ride from upstate NY to southern PA at the end of July, so I wanted to change the fluids beforehand. I went to Wal-mart and bought all of the cheap-ass oil and the $3.50 filter that I always use. Performed the same procedure that I always do (nothing special), then I strapped my golf bag to the passenger seat and headed south. Even with all the extra drag from my golf bag sticking out to the sides, I noticed my mileage starting to climb again. I didn't need to refill until I was at 260 miles when my prior range was typically 240. I spent a couple of days in south PA and continued to watch the mileage calculation increase as I puttered around my old home town for a few days (not even on the highway).

During my return trip to NY I noticed that I was able to go 275 miles comfortably before I needed to purchase gasoline. I hadn't seen that range in years. My gas mileage after 4 tanks of gas was continuing to increase to nearly 47mpg. I've been back in NY for 3 weeks now and I've been through another 8 tanks of gas. Currently my mileage is calculated to be 49.1mpg and my range was 292 miles on that last tank before I felt nervous about making it to the next exit.

I only wrote this to let you know that there was something wrong with my bike for the past 5 years, but I can't tell you what it was. I am certain that it was associated in some way with my oil changes. If you experience the same symptoms, well....I wish I could help. Right now, I'm debating if I will ever change my oil again.

After my last oil change and the trip to PA, my bike seems to revving smoother and I don't hear as much 'rattle and pinging' noises coming from the engine (not that it was real bad before...). The bike gives me the impression that it is 'gliding and coasting' with more ease between the gears and during 'throttle down' as if the engine breaking has been greatly reduced. I swear, I've done nothing more than my standard oil change. I leave it at that.
Some things are just mysteries, but I guarantee oil changes aren't yielding 15%+ mileage improvements. Engine friction accounts for no more than 10% of fuel consumption in a modern engine. Even if you found an oil that completely eliminated friction, you wouldn't see a 15% change. Smart people working really hard on better lubricants are struggling to see 2% improvement.

http://www.ltu.se/cms_fs/1.82748!/file/IanTaylor.pdf

In the northeast, several things can change mileage. Cold temps vs. warm. Winter gas vs. summer. Yes, there are seasonal variations in fuel in many northeast states. Riding style, traffic and road variations, tire pressure, etc., all affect mileage. No easy way to know what all factors are coming into play in your case.

·
Registered
45 Posts

Some things are just mysteries, but I guarantee oil changes aren't yielding 15%+ mileage improvements. Engine friction accounts for no more than 10% of fuel consumption in a modern engine.
I am in no way claiming that the cheap Wal-Mart oil or the crappy Puralator filter have anything to do with curing my bike. I'm only stating a symptom that I have witnessed for the past 5 years / 60k miles / 10 oil changes. I made an all day ride around to VT in July before my oil change and my gas mileage was my normal 42-44mpg. I have been through several tanks of gas since my last oil change and I can tell you that something has changed besides the weather, gas, oil, etc. I have no idea what that something is, but it is somehow related to the oil changes.

I have read about many others who are not able to achieve the high 40's mpg, and I was one of them. I wonder if any of them have ever watched their mileage to see if there is a slight uptick in mpg on the very first-second tank of gas after an oil change? That was my symptom for the entire timeframe which I've stated above.

No matter where I've traveled, where I purchased gas, octane, ethanol, windscreen height, flap settings, seat heater, grip heater, throttle use, etc........I have not seen 49mpg or the 290 mile range for many many years.

I will let the forum know if my mileage starts to work it's way back under 45. If I can run all winter without seeing the high 30's then I know that my bike has cured itself of whatever it was.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Hi....
Just adding my two cents! What makes a difference of mileage has a lot to do with the grade of gas you use... The 91 octane gas, will give me a bout 3 miles more per gallon. Another noticeable difference, is the ratio of ethanol added, depending on the company and the location....

Happy ride.

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

Hi....
Just adding my two cents! What makes a difference of mileage has a lot to do with the grade of gas you use... The 91 octane gas, will give me a bout 3 miles more per gallon. Another noticeable difference, is the ratio of ethanol added, depending on the company and the location....

Happy ride.
Octane rating alone will have virtually no affect on LT fuel economy. The LT has no means to adjust for different octane fuel.

Ethanol content makes a significant difference due to ethanol's much lower energy content per gallon.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
you'd be getting 120 mpg if you used Amsoil...

I changed my trans every 12,000, final drive every oil change, probably overkill but cheap insurance and I always noticed better shifting after changing.
Because of where it is I had always let the BMW dealers change my tranny fluid but this last time they said they needed to remove all the plastic, which you know adds probably 2 Hrs labor so I said NO.
Got her back home and did it myself, big pain in the posterior but I got it done. I used synthetic and it is amazing the difference in the shifting...so much easier both up and down.

Reactions: beech
1 - 20 of 31 Posts