BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All;

The 2006 LT which I recently purchased has a damaged chrome (plastic) molding on the left hand rear case. I guess the prior owner dropped the bike...

I ordered a replacement which arrived today. Looking at it I can see that it has two contact strips on the inside surface which effectively glue it into place once the old one is removed...

My question is, how do I get the old chrome molding off without damaging anything?? It is on there pretty tight right now and does not budge a bit.

Thanks!

Joel

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
jtalka said:
Hi All;

The 2006 LT which I recently purchased has a damaged chrome (plastic) molding on the left hand rear case. I guess the prior owner dropped the bike...

I ordered a replacement which arrived today. Looking at it I can see that it has two contact strips on the inside surface which effectively glue it into place once the old one is removed...

My question is, how do I get the old chrome molding off without damaging anything?? It is on there pretty tight right now and does not budge a bit.

Thanks!

Joel
Best way is to heat it with a heat gun or hair drier then using a thin wire or dental floss slide it behind the molding and using a sawing motion cut it off. Next use 3M™ Adhesive Remover to remove the left over glue.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys.... sounds like a plan!!

Joel :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Fishing line will also work. In the past I've used both dental floss and fishing line. Neither has scratched any surface and the fishing line holds up better than the dental floss. My concern about wire is that it might scratch.

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
beartooth said:
Heat gun from inside the case and gentle prying worked for me.

Good luck,

Bruce

Me too.
Of course, have subsequently tipped it over and need to do it all over again ... :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts