BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
New BMW rider here with a few questions on LED bulb changeout, particularly the front center bulb, which I believe is H7

1. Can you point me to detailed instructions about removing the RT's headlight assembly/front-end tupperware? From my fumbling around back there, I can't imagine an LED headlight install without a lot of disassembly for direct access to these locations... Or at least easier access.
2. I'd like to only change out the H7 center bulb, preferably with a passively cooled LED bulb. I don't use high beam enough to justify the changing all of them. Is just changing the center H7 bulb to LED possible without total front end disassembly? Are there other options? (removing just part of the front for easier access?...)
3. How much "depth" room is available in the H7 area? This information would be useful in locating a single H7 bulb, beit active or passively cooled ... I've used passive cooling bulbs with great success in the past.

Thanks for your help. I just installed driving lights on my 2015. They are 6500K color temp and make the center H7 look quite "dingy." I'd like to fix this "problem" with a new center LED bulb. Thank you for your help on this subject, and thank you for all the great information on this site!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I installed an H7 LED from advmonster in my '16 RT following their instructions. It is easier to install when the headlight assy is removed but I did mine on the bike.
I just removed the plastic around the dash and inserted the parts in order. Link to their installation instructions: Installation instructions

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very good. Thanks! The instructions look not too bad, but when you add the tight factor, the "everything is reversed" factor, the "I can't see anything" factor, and probably others, it seems like it would be difficult. But I think I'll give it a try though, maybe after the season in case something goes horribly wrong (that can't happen, right?!?).

Thank you very much!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed an H7 LED from advmonster in my '16 RT following their instructions. It is easier to install when the headlight assy is removed but I did mine on the bike.
I just removed the plastic around the dash and inserted the parts in order. Link to their installation instructions: Installation instructions
One other question: Are the original H7 clips needed in the new install? I didn't see anything about them in the Instructions. Thx

·
Registered
214 Posts
Scotty,
I installed the Cyclops LED(s), but I can answer your question about the "clips". Those are the wire springs and spring catches for them shown in the Advmonster instructions in steps 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, and 7. They are held in place by the two visible screws, and are permanent to the housing. There are no replacements, and yes, in either Cyclops or ADVmonster installations the clips are used to hold down the plastic "adapter" shown in step 4 (and clipped back down in step 5 as shown). This is handy because you never have to screw around with those clips ever again as the LEDs don't rely on an integrated metal keyed plate that is part of a normal halogen H7 bulb, but simply twist into the new adapter plates should you ever replace one of the same LED bulbs again.

Study the two pictures in step 7 carefully. They are the best you will ever see of the clips (unless of course you take the headlight assembly off the bike because you dropped the adapter plates into the headlight assembly by accident). :eek:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Rainman48!... Yeah, I see now. Their function is to hold the adapter in place before inserting LED and trying to fit all that stuff in there. I know I've done this type of thing once on the Vstar, but it was a long time ago. These things last forever! ... And yes, caution across the board with dropping things in a reverse-blind-tight environment! Thank you!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts