BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the halogen OEM headlight on my 19 1250RT with an LED. I don't want to have to cut wires or any part of the bike to do it. Just wondering what you guys/gals have used in place of the OEM.

Have you replaced any of the other factory lights with LED (brake, directionals etc..)?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
214 Posts
My install and review

·
Registered
214 Posts
brake/tailight/directionals are already LED.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Rainman48. Your writeup is extensive, very informative and extremely thorough. I am not sure if those same lights will work on my bike, but more importantly, I don't think that I want to go through the trouble of breaking the front end down like that to install them. The interference on the radio would also be an issue for me.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
I am looking to replace the halogen OEM headlight on my 19 1250RT with an LED. I don't want to have to cut wires or any part of the bike to do it. Just wondering what you guys/gals have used in place of the OEM.

Have you replaced any of the other factory lights with LED (brake, directionals etc..)?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Ride safe!
The real question is why my 17.5 GS has LED and your 19 1250 RT does not?

I know the GS is a test muel and all things happen to the GS /GSA first and my 17.5 is really a 18 due to when it was produced and equipment it has that a 17 does not.

Still I think it is shoddy that all 1250 BMW do not have LED lights but it is what it is.

The Cyclops LED lights rock so them for the save but still, TFT, 1250 motor, and no LED, BMW should be slapped.

Reactions: Firecop1

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had this one from advmonster installed for over a year now. No issues, no error codes, and the beam patterns doesn’t produce glare for oncoming drivers. H7 Plus LED Headlight
Thank you PatM55. Did you also take apart the front end to do it? More importantly, are you experiencing any issues with interference or static?

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
430 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Thank you PatM55. Did you also take apart the front end to do it? More importantly, are you experiencing any issues with interference or static?
I didn't have to take the front end apart but it took me about an hour to get it installed. Of course I could have done it faster if I had bothered to read the instructions 😳
Everything got in the headlight cavity, no cutting or modifications needed.

Regarding interference or static, I can't say, I don't have a radio in my bike. I don't get any interference while using Bluetooth either.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the the new model that has a flux capacitor? 😜
Lol. It might. I just dont know there is any difference in the fairings and setup between a 1200RT and a 1250RT. Just trying to make sure that I buy the right parts.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The real question is why my 17.5 GS has LED and your 19 1250 RT does not?

I know the GS is a test muel and all things happen to the GS /GSA first and my 17.5 is really a 18 due to when it was produced and equipment it has that a 17 does not.

Still I think it is shoddy that all 1250 BMW do not have LED lights but it is what it is.

The Cyclops LED lights rock so them for the save but still, TFT, 1250 motor, and no LED, BMW should be slapped.
Yes the ashtray is shite on the 1250RT as well, but never mind

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
Yes the ashtray is shite on the 1250RT as well, but never mind
Didi not expect a ash tray but would expect them to put LED lights on ALL their newest 1250 motors.

Reactions: bushbikie

·
Registered
214 Posts
The interference on the radio would also be an issue for me.
Excuse me, but I can't let this slide. Have you even listened to your "radio"? Which one - the FM, AM, or Sirius/XM radios? They are all very low end quality items with short range, and like the Bluetooth BMW offers in the audio package, WAY behind on updates to make them current with the rest of the world. Shameful really. /rant

So, if you read my entire review you should have noticed that Cyclops had a very, very, very few number of customers who reported any interference, and those were from owners of older bikes, or perhaps those who did something to cause interference during an install, or were reported because the quality BMW put into these products was mistaken for new interference. In any case, Cyclops was surprised, and they added a resister to their offering that came with my package, and a conversation and promise soon after I bought mine to suppress any interference in an even more elegant way. As I reported, I had no new interference.

I can understand a reluctance to take the skins off your bike if you are uncomfortable with doing that, but my advise to you is, you should ignore any reports of "radio" interference from any brand LEDs that weren't purchased and installed properly on a Wethead in the last two years.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Excuse me, but I can't let this slide. Have you even listened to your "radio"? Which one - the FM, AM, or Sirius/XM radios? They are all very low end quality items with short range, and like the Bluetooth BMW offers in the audio package, WAY behind on updates to make them current with the rest of the world. Shameful really. /rant

So, if you read my entire review you should have noticed that Cyclops had a very, very, very few number of customers who reported any interference, and those were from owners of older bikes, or perhaps those who did something to cause interference during an install, or were reported because the quality BMW put into these products was mistaken for new interference. In any case, Cyclops was surprised, and they added a resister to their offering that came with my package, and a conversation and promise soon after I bought mine to suppress any interference in an even more elegant way. As I reported, I had no new interference.

I can understand a reluctance to take the skins off your bike if you are uncomfortable with doing that, but my advise to you is, you should ignore any reports of "radio" interference from any brand LEDs that weren't purchased and installed properly on a Wethead in the last two years.
Sorry if my reply offended you Rainman48, it was not my intention. I actually went through your review multiple times and inquired about the interference to get clarification. I do use all of the radio bands on occasion and I agree that they suck. I use AM for traffic and its usually the most susceptible to interference so that is definitely a concern.

I am still mulling this over as I really want the LED lighting.

·
Cat Herder
1,458 Posts
Don't use these... they don't fit correctly. The bezel is rounded and not squared off like a regular H7. We tried to crimp the bezel down to fit but it did not work.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Props to you guys who did the install yourself. By a weird coincidence, I just picked my 2014 up from the dealer who did the install for $310.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry if my reply offended you Rainman48, it was not my intention. I actually went through your review multiple times and inquired about the interference to get clarification. I do use all of the radio bands on occasion and I agree that they suck. I use AM for traffic and its usually the most susceptible to interference so that is definitely a concern.

I am still mulling this over as I really want the LED lighting.
No offense taken Firecop1, and likewise, no intentional offense given by myself. I was just trying to point out both of the most often mentioned choices here (Cyclops or Advmonster) don't produce any interference with the radios in most cases. More often, we see that some of the guys that have installed lights intended for the automotive world/and or low dollar brands off flea-bay end up with CANBUS problems that need additional resistance to solve that problem. Again, not all but some.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts