3/16 inch wide base, 13/16 inch overall length
Flat tipped LED produces wide beam angle
$ 1.19

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yup. Them's the ones...

By the way, You can't do the radio stingray display the same way..i've got mine apart now and it's going to have to take another method...., More on that later when it's done. Each button has it's own individual led in the center of the switch and the readout has a row of smd led's underneath it... I'm going to use Gel ( plastic ) to cover these to change them to red. They're currently yellow so the change should work out. I'll post on this method with pictures when I get it done probably tonight..

John

·
Registered
256 Posts
John,

It sounds like you are going to try this anyway, but I will say that putting a red filter in front of an amber LED should basically lead to no light at all. LED's have a very narrow light spectrum. Of course, this kind of depends on the quality of the filter. At any rate, it should not change the color of light to red. At most it should just darken them.

Eric

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Registered
256 Posts
Very Nice, and also surpirsing. Still not sure how amber light gives you red in the end. Maybe those amber LED's have more red in them than I suspected. LED's that I have seen spec'd are for a given wavelength. Different materials used in the manufacture of the LED's give off different wavelengths of light. If you can remember about 30 years ago, LED's only came in red. Since then they have developed different materials to give different colors, with white being the latest.

I am really glad that it worked for you though. I am sure that lots of people will be copying this one!

Eric

·
Registered
980 Posts
ecirwin said:
Maybe those amber LED's have more red in them than I suspected. LED's that I have seen spec'd are for a given wavelength.
One thing to remember is that, although LEDs are supposed to be monochromatic, they are typically specified with a "center wavelength" and are not precise. They can be off by as high as +/- 100nm (that's why RED LEDs have a RED plastic lens - to enhance the "center" color to compensate for the variance).

So the "amber" LEDs probably have enough energy at "red" to work great.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Not as good as I'd hoped.....

Well, I ordered and installed the red LED lights in my instrument cluster. Got the suggested #74 red LED wedge base bulbs from superbrightleds.com. I am VERY dissatisfied with the result. It's so dim that I can barely make out the odometer. Checked and rechecked to make sure they're all working....which they are. Just don't like it. It's also has lots of "uneveness" to the light. Some areas brighter/dimmer than others.

S, I'm going to go back to incandescent bulbs. I like the red color, so I'm gonna try some red glass incadescents. Bought some today from http://autolumination.com/74.htm for 99 cents a piece. I'll post my results when I get them changed out.

FWIW, I also modified my radio backlighting (like jpspen did) witht he red colored tape over the SM LED's on the radios circuit board. I am very happy with that as it's plenty bright enough.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Red Incandescent Bulbs are the ticket

Got the red incadenscent bulbs installed yesterday. MUCH, MUCH better. Brightness is very good now.

Anybody want to buy 10 red LED #74 wedge base bulbs?

·
Registered
19 Posts
2721 cross to a LED

Gentlemen
It appears the LED folks have something to offer now. heres the link.
SuperBrightLED

Ref to an earlier posting, the generic 74 bulb is short lived and I don't believe is a worthy replacement. Make the effort to locate and order 2721, after all who wants to open the top of the dash to change bulb once a year.

Have a nice day. :)

·
Registered
509 Posts
mdrose, those are the exact bulbs (and from the same vendor) that I got. Se my post above....I was VERY disappointed in their lack of brightness. So, I went with red incadescent bulbs instead. MUCH MUCH better. If you want those LEDs, I've got ten of 'em I'll sell ya. Make me an offer.

Toolman

·
Registered
19 Posts
Toolman

Sorry, I'm waiting for LED manufactures to come out with either a brighter LED (simular to the luxeon LED) or a LED flood panel before I jump into LED's for the bike.

FYI, if you would like to see a 3 watt LED device, heres the URL. http://www.luxeonstar.com/item.php?id=1810&link_str=330&partno=LXK2-PW12-R00

The only catch with these LED's is, they're raw devices, packaging and the curcuits need to operate them is something you would have to come up with. ---<< Know any electronic engineers with to much time on their hands.>>---

Later

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
A year laster, and still helping out . . .

The magic of this site is it is almost a year after this thread ran, and the information in it is going to help me solve an issue on my own bike this year!

·
Registered
408 Posts
JPSpen said:
Eric,

I'm glad that I didn't read that before I tried my conversion...It might have discouraged me... :)

Check em out..
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5871

John
I'm looking for a little help. I want to do the red radio illumination bu can'tseem to get the cover off.I took the stingray off, removed the back panels, removed the 3 phillips head screws but still can't get the radio cover off....Am I missing something? I will do the red tail lamp material same as yours....

Thanks

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Geez, It's been so long now since I did it I don't remember...

Looking at the drawing in the service manual it looks like there are 5 screws.

three around the top round portion and two more by where the wiring enters..

HTH

JOhn

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bit confused by bulb size

I was interested in reading all these posts, but I'm a bit confused. My manual says DIN 72 601 is the right bulb. I saw some posts saying 501. Maybe they changed in different years (mine is 2000).

I also saw a suggestion to go to the 2721 because it was the right socket size over the 74. I bought some Sylvania 2723's which are a bit hotter (2.3W) than the 2721's but the same size. A photo is attached showing that the 2723 is smaller than the original. The original is on the right side, the 2723 is on the left. It wobbles a bit in the socket but sure lights up nicely.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Jack,

If you want to really dress up your dash, do a seach for my thread on group buy for LEDs. I am getting ready to do another bulk order, and will be happy to include your wish-list items for you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Re: Red Incandescent Bulbs are the ticket

Got the red incadenscent bulbs installed yesterday. MUCH, MUCH better. Brightness is very good now.

Anybody want to buy 10 red LED #74 wedge base bulbs?
Hey ToolMan:

Which part # did you order for your red glass bulbs. The link of bulbs for the "74" seem to have a very low lumen rating and you did mention they were bright! ????

Thanks for looking into this for me

Regards

Steve A

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,181 Posts
Re: Red Incandescent Bulbs are the ticket

Hey ToolMan:

Which part # did you order for your red glass bulbs. The link of bulbs for the "74" seem to have a very low lumen rating and you did mention they were bright! ????

Thanks for looking into this for me

Regards

Steve A
You do realize this thread is 10 years old, and LED technology and prices have changed drastically since 2007.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 1995 K75RT. The instrument cluster lights are all dead. I want to replace them with LEDs, because they last a long time. But I can't see how to get to them. Do I have to take the whole fairing off?

I looked at YouTube and saw several different ways to do it to other bikes but not mine. Part of the problem may be that I have the electric windscreen. Removing it doesn't give access to the underside of the instrument cluster.

Is there a super-wrench out there who can help?

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.