BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get LED replacements for the 601 lamps used in the dash lights?

thanks

John

·
Registered
163 Posts
dash LEDs

Although they don't have them on their website, cyclegadets.com might be a good place to start

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not that I've ever pulled my bulbs out in public - but are they not 501'S ? might make your search a little easier.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I think 601 is the wrong number.. Now that I look closer neither the owners manual or the service manual give the number for the telltale lights...

I'll call the dealer this morning and find out the correct number....we'll go from there..

I think they have them at PepBoys..

John

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
jpspen said:
I think they have them at PepBoys..

John
Wal-Mart haz 'em. IF you're talking about the backlights that surround the speedo/tach area. Not sure if they're LED tho --- the one's I used when I replaced some that were toast, were 12v #74/BP2. In the auto dept. HTH.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Dick said:
Wal-Mart haz 'em. IF you're talking about the backlights that surround the speedo/tach area. Not sure if they're LED tho --- the one's I used when I replaced some that were toast, were 12v #74/BP2. In the auto dept. HTH.
The #74 bulbs are close, but not actually the correct bulb. They are a little larger, and may make the socket too loose when the correct bulb is installed at a later date.

The European bulb is available at most auto parts stores, Sylvaina #2721. The Sylvania Eropean spec. bulbs are in black/green packaging. I have bought them at Kragen and Pep Boys.

The #74 bulb is a T1 3/4 size, 1.4 watt, 500 hour rated life
The #2721 bulb s a T1 1/2 size, 1.2 watt, 1000 hour rated life.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2721, That's the magic number....Thanks David

John

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
John, when you get 'em replaced, let us know how it went ok?

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no worries shawn.. I'm gonna have to order the led's . I just picked up a pak of replacement lamps in the meantime... Going for Red I think.....

Later

John

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Cool! Maybe in the spring we can have another RTE in the OKC area and I can check 'em out.

Of course the way the weather is, that could be any time now! :eek:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Led's ordered... Sent by first class mail so they should be here probably wed or thu..

I'm just gonna leav the w/s cover and windshield off until I get them ....

Keep you posted..

John

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Red Lights are good for night vision

I just thought I would throw in a little something here. Red lights are better for night vision than amber, green, blue, or white. I don't have any real science to back this up, although I'm sure I could find some. Just an example that always seems to work.

Have you ever noticed how much an LED lit clock will light up a pitch black room, unless it uses red LED's? If you don't believe me, just look for yourself. The more the color of the light moves from red to blue, the more you can actually see the light from the clock in the room. It seems that our eyes are less sensitive to reds, at least while in the dark.

When I had the dash torn apart on my LT, the first thing I did was to darken the cruise control lens with a black marker. That amber light glowing in the corner of my eye was a nuisance. I could actually see the glow coming off the backside of the windscreen. Now that the light has to shine through the marker and lens, it is much more subdued.

I just might do this red LED thing this spring. Looks like a good idea.
Eric

·
Registered
820 Posts
Red lights are pretty cool actually and are damn near impossible to be seen at night time under the correct conditions.

try this at home.

get a standard old torch that emits a started white beam and got to a dark park or dark area at night with some friends.
have about 50 meters between you and u friends and turn the light on and point it direct at the ground by your side.

yell out to them and ask them if they can see it.
you will get a a definate yes.
now turn the torch off and sticky tape come red celophane over the lens and cover the whole lens of the torch and point it directly at the ground and switch it on again.
yell out to your frineds and ask them what they see.
they will be lucky if the see anything i will be suprised if they see anything at all.
you on the other hand will see red on the ground and you can even raise the torch a little and point in front so you can see the ground better.
dont lift the torch too high of they will see the torch.

this is an old trick i learnt when i was a kid in scouts. a nifty idea to see your way round bush when playing "stalk the lantern" or similar at night time.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Warning light LEDs

John did you replace any of the other lights in the dash with LEDs? ( Turn indicator,Low Fuel, High Beam, Temp, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No craig I didn't. Just wanted to change the dash to red.... the other lights that normally don't shine anyway unless there is a prob are fine for me the way they are...

I also plan on doing the stingray when I finally get it apart again to do my annual and intercom/gps/trailer wiring/aux lighting.

John

·
Registered
221 Posts
So, John, how many LED's did you need for the conversion?

You're conversion looks so good, I may do it myself next time I'm under the tuperware!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Gosh don't really remember, I think it took 5 or 6 for the dash, I ordered a 10 pak..
Think it was 16 bucks with shipping..

John

1 - 20 of 40 Posts