BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I'm wanted to get the opinions of others. I need to replace my chrome rocker panel moulding (don't ask why :) ). These are the chrome mouldings on the side bags. I was thinking about replacing them with the black moulding instead of the chrome since the black ones are much less expensive. I intend to keep this bike a while so I'll probably drop it again and the thought of replacing the chrome moulding at $124.00 a pop doesn't appeal to me. The black ones are about $24.00

Am I being too cheap here? Has anyone else did the same. I want to maintain the integrity of the bike but I'm having a hard time justifying the chrome mouldings over the black ones. I just don't think it'll make that much difference to the look of the bike. Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
hey Frank sounds like you have already made your decision, take off the damaged one and paint it black stand back and have a look, mines been down now about 15 times I just dont worry about it any more a little embarressed yes,, life goes on, probably happen again,,, but only after you replace it ;)

Reactions: jeannot

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Linton,
Good suggestion on the paint. I'll give it a try. On making up my mind, I'm about 70/30 on replacing the chrome. Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This site is great! I found another thread on the same subject and the recommendation was made for this product:

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddeta...d=060_SCT&cat=3

I just ordered a pair. This way I can keep the look of the chrome and get the protection of the vinyl strips.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I never think about dropping the LT. Just the opposite - if I had the $ - I would have a custom paint job done on her. I'm a big believer in self fulfilling prophecies. Yes I know it's a possibility and have the dropped her a few times due to dumb mistakes on my part Do what makes you feel comfortable. I have a few scratches on the topcase and drives me nuts just knowing they are there. Temp fix is to ride more often because I can't see them when I'm riding.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I ended up buying a roll of chrome wheel well moulding from a local body shop supplier and cutting appropriate size pieces to fit on the side bag chrome. It looks good and you don't notice the add on. If you drop the bike, a common occurance with the LT, you can easily tear off the damaged chrome piece, and put on a new one. The moulding comes in a 20' length and sells for about $22.00. That will give you enough chrome moulding to do the side bags and the mirrors too. The moulding is called prostripe or Cowles Protekto trim...part #37-1550 or M855005. 5/8" dish wheel well kit.
Cheers,
Jim :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
that bike's way too shiny clean.. :wave

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
The only thing worse than real chrome is the fake plastic crap that BMW puts all of these bikes for the US market. Frankly, I find it to be pretty embarrassing. JM2C

·
Registered
280 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
The only thing worse than real chrome is the fake plastic crap that BMW puts all of these bikes for the US market. Frankly, I find it to be pretty embarrassing. JM2C
Hey, chrome won't get ya home... but it sure looks good!

·
Registered
323 Posts
jarhead354 said:
Hello Everyone,
I'm wanted to get the opinions of others. I need to replace my chrome rocker panel moulding (don't ask why :) ). These are the chrome mouldings on the side bags. I was thinking about replacing them with the black moulding instead of the chrome since the black ones are much less expensive. I intend to keep this bike a while so I'll probably drop it again and the thought of replacing the chrome moulding at $124.00 a pop doesn't appeal to me. The black ones are about $24.00

Am I being too cheap here? Has anyone else did the same. I want to maintain the integrity of the bike but I'm having a hard time justifying the chrome mouldings over the black ones. I just don't think it'll make that much difference to the look of the bike. Any thoughts, recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Hasn't anyone told you the only thing cheap about a BMW is its owner. :histerica

When I damaged the chrome on the bags of my '05 LT I removed both mouldings, peeled all the chrome off, painted the mouldings a dark charcoal metallic, installed the aftermarket plastic strips, and installed a series of red LED lights in each moulding that worked with the L & R signal lights to give better visibility, especially for lane changes. I was able to proudly hold true to the cheap owner thing AND be original at the same time.

It has been about 3 years since I did this, It has gone to sleep (bad habit) on me a few times since. Everything still looks good.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There're some really good (and creative) solutions here. Thanks all for the input :bmw: . These are the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I agree about the cheap chrome. I love the fact that BMW put the forethought into the addition of these moulding strips in case of a drop. However, why use cheap plastic chrome as a covering? Why not just go with a replaceable vinyl moulding strip in the first place?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Where are all the pics of these great ideas like gladiator99 provided....come on....share 'em!! :wave

:worthless

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you're happy with what you're doing that's great. Personally, I like the BMR solution. Not only does it look good but it is a replaceable vinyl strip that has enough thickness to help protect the bike from the next oopsy. Just stick right on top of the damaged chrome.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
My bike came with black covers on the tip over wings.
(first time I've heard the term "rocker panel" used for the side cases).

I like the black. Mine have scratches and such from many drops over the years, but still look fine. But then, I'm the sort of guy who doesn't wash the bikes. :)

I'm reminded of Grif's comment years ago who said he thought all the fake chrome on the
"custom" models made the bike look like a "tarted-up hussy". :histerica

Grif dropped out of this site long ago; he sure did add some colorful comments here, I miss that.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Didn't you know that BMW engineers and designers are taught to either over design and complicate or under design and cheapen both to the point where you get totally frustrated and think W T F were they thinking?:kaboom:

There're some really good (and creative) solutions here. Thanks all for the input :bmw: . These are the kind of suggestions I was looking for. I agree about the cheap chrome. I love the fact that BMW put the forethought into the addition of these moulding strips in case of a drop. However, why use cheap plastic chrome as a covering? Why not just go with a replaceable vinyl moulding strip in the first place?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
My bike is an LTC in Anthracite . It Came with all the chrome trim. Well the Previous Owner dropped her on the right side(there are scuffs on the lower right saddlebag). Anyways. He painted or coated the trim on the bags black ,cause he most likely damaged the right one. I think it looks great. I left it black. I am not changing them to chrome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts