BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace the brake line next to the right foot rear brake last month.

Last night on a trip from Orlando to Miami the rear brakes failed.

I could not check anything as I got in late and have been in meetings all day.

I was wondering if it is normal to replace all brake lines, all front or all rear, at the same time?

Or if one at a time is ok?

I will also get some DOT 4 on the way back to the hotel and see if I can find the leak.

Thanks in adance for the assistance.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
If you like stopping I would surely not skimp in this area. Sometimes biting the bullet can keep you from a lot worse fate....

Even though I would replace with OEM lines there are a lot of Speigler fans out there.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
My mechanic says he sees failures of the rear line and the front control line on the LT. After the front control line failed last summer, the wheel line failed a week later. I replaced all the lines with Spieglers on both my LT and GS.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was having troubles with the rear brakes and ordered a replacement master brake cyl.

tonight I was taking off the plastic on the right hand side to get ready for the operation later this week and was mucking around with the rear brakes and there I noticed that the rubber hose from the top of the bike down to the rear brake looked wet and sure enough the rear hose was bad.

So off to the rubber hose store in the morning I go to get a custom built stainless braided hose.

my new motto from above is to replace both hoses at the same time. Maybe the new stainless that I put on the front two months ago made the rear hose go bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts