BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we make a sticky about searching for answers to questions that have been asked a thousand and one times. Not putting down our new comers, but its like beating a dead horse here. :deadhorse

Ok I am done. :soapbox:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was wondering today more along the line, has anyone thought of, or written a book with all the information that has been provided over the years from this forum?

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
yechave said:
I was wondering today more along the line, has anyone thought of, or written a book with all the information that has been provided over the years from this forum?
Look at the top bar, under the 'Technical' pulldown - you will find FAQ and the Hall of Wisdom. Volunteers put these together and we are always looking for volunteers to freshen it up.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I know it seems redundant at times, But when you were a newbie you asked about the smoking and shifting and noise and all that other stuff that you needed to learn.

So show your knowledge and answer a question or two for a newbie and you'll feel better about it.

John

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JPSpen said:
I know it seems redundant at times, But when you were a newbie you asked about the smoking and shifting and noise and all that other stuff that you needed to learn.

So show your knowledge and answer a question or two for a newbie and you'll feel better about it.
John
I never said I didn't ask the same questions. I was just wondering if there was a way to say, "Hey if you are new, GO HERE to see the answer". I am not going to defend my questions becuase yes I did ask them. And last night when I posted this I felt a little spunky.

I am aware of our Hall of Wisdom but it seems that someone who is new, may not know to go there and look for answers. I am all about ease of use. I currently work somewhere that has too many Chiefs and not enough Indians, and nothing gets accomplished the way it should be.(apology to all native americans that might be offended) And since you looked at the questions I asked, you apparently never looked at questions I answered. I am only saying that a sticky of the hall of wisdom, or general knowledge, something along those lines.

·
Registered
713 Posts
So,,, I'm going to use OEM (BMW) fluids in my bike like 20-50 motor oil,, can anyone recommend which brand of oil is best?????????? :histerica :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
petepeterson said:
So,,, I'm going to use OEM (BMW) fluids in my bike like 20-50 motor oil,, can anyone recommend which brand of oil is best?????????? :histerica :histerica

Why ****** of course :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I was a newbie a year ago and did visit the Hall of Wisdom as I was preparing to pick up the bike.

But I never thought to search "dropping bike" and so traumatized the SO through that failure.

I'll take responsibility for that failure, but I'd urge a little tolerance anyway for others..

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am a newb and every question I've asked I've searched the H W. But when you know so little about these bikes, it is hard to know what to enter in the search. Example how to pull the tupperware off the bike. Now I know a site but it was after asking the board. I could find it in the Hall Of Wisdom.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Can you repeat your question please?
:-o
Bob

·
Registered
187 Posts
I will admit after 30+ years of ridding. It wasn’t until I bought my LT that "tupperware" entered my cycle vocabulary.

And I am guessing that many are looking for conversation as much as they are looking for information.

·
Registered
371 Posts
A year and a half and two LT's later I consider myself a total newb. I've asked some real simpleton questions and got responses. What I mostly see with newer newbs than me is this: they ask a question. Responses usually welcome them to the forum, answer the Q's, and give a gentle nudge to the FAQs for "more info".
The only time this understanding tolerance goes South is when someone bashes the bike. Newbs don't tend to do this anyway.
It takes guts to ask a seemingly dumb question. Trust me. If another newb, gathering courage to ask, sees a fellow newb publicly decimated....well you get the picture.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
DarkMeister said:
It takes guts to ask a seemingly dumb question. Trust me. If another newb, gathering courage to ask, sees a fellow newb publicly decimated....well you get the picture.
And that's why we should respond nicely. Believe me, in the last 8 years, I've seen the same questions over and over. The thang is, we're friends and many of us have become like family to me. The newb today might be your dearest bud before it's all over.

Of course, some people respond to and really like, "Search shitheel"!!!!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I am not an in the business so really do not know what it would take to accomplish but a little web tour of the web site and how it works and where to find things might be helpful. I am not against the redundant questions per say because I learn from them as well.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
gglove said:
I am not an in the business so really do not know what it would take to accomplish but a little web tour of the web site and how it works and where to find things might be helpful. I am not against the redundant questions per say because I learn from them as well.
+1 here. Maybe I am a little ...slow, but when I reread a question that has been answered, I pick up just a bit more. Kinda like studying for a test. Sometimes you need to go over something again.

·
Registered
577 Posts
there is going to be a test?????????

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Besides. I'd rather read the stuff here than watch the Presidential debates(?).
Bob

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
grifscoots said:
That's right. Questions like: the best oil, tires, seat, fuse box, riding gear, helmet, etc. will be asked. Those that pass will be able to access the next level on this board.

To date, nobody has passed.
Hey.... should we fire the teachers? Nahhhhh...

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok Ok I will retract my sticky request. Geesh, you ask a silly question and all I get is tolerance from everybody. I tell you what though, someone said it right, sometimes people just want to talk along with find out a little bit about their purchase. Maybe I just wanted to talk :D and I guess I was just agitated when I made the thread. So to make amends....All the new guys ask your questions, no matter how many times they have been asked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts