BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone has experienced this problem but thought I'd share just in case. A few weeks ago I lost the right channel on my old SENA SMH-10 head set. Called Sena and talked to customer service who promptly informed me that since it was long out of warranty they couldn't help but would be glad to sell me a new improved unit. I primarily ride solo and use the head set for music and GPS prompts and didn't feel the need for a new upgraded unit. OH yea, did I mention that I'm also frugal (the wife says cheep). Anyway, I noticed that if I pressed hard on the outside of the unit forcing it more tightly against the clamp half of the mount I could activate the dead channel. This of course indicated a problem with the contacts between the two halves. After separating the two halves and seeing that the inside contacts are just a flat copper strip I attempted to simply clean the surface. That didn't help so I decided that I would try and build up that surface. I pulled out and old low power pencil type soldering iron and very carefully added a very thin layer of solder to each contact. The trick is to prevent shorting two or more of the contact strips. Anyway, after completing the repair and re-attaching the outer module I had success. The repair has been in use now for several weeks and is performing well.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Great work! Next do us a write up on how to change the battery out. They are the same batteries that my cheap drone uses.

Ron

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great work! Next do us a write up on how to change the battery out. They are the same batteries that my cheap drone uses.

Ron
My battery is still going strong, it will be 4 years old next month. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but when I'm not riding it's plugged in and charging. That process seems to be working. If and when it dies I'll give it a shot.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,981 Posts
I have to rotate one of my Senna's to get stereo. There is a U tube video that shows how to install better batteries in the Senna 10.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to rotate one of my Senna's to get stereo. There is a U tube video that shows how to install better batteries in the Senna 10.
Dave. mine to would help if I rotated it but when I released the pressure it would drop out again. My little solder coating seems to have fixed the problem. Well, at least for now, roughly two weeks. I only coated the top row of contacts on the helmet side. Covered the bottom row with electrical tape during the process to prevent solder from bridging over and causing a short.

Reactions: saddleman
1 - 5 of 5 Posts