BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I'm wasting some money here, but this is the best way I feel to relax for an entire day of riding and determine if the RT is the bike for me. I started to feel stupid for not taking a demo out but oh well, they already got my deposit

This is who I'm renting from, can anyone tell me what year the RT is by looking at it how how it may differ from a 2013?

http://www.tourbikes.com/bikes.html

·
Registered
550 Posts
When you click on the image to "save as", it is titled 06RT, so I guess that's what it is. It doesn't have the latest DOHC engine, and the switches are different, but unless the shocks are worn, it will probably feel similar to my 2012. What ever year, I bet you will have a blast on it. Check for the seat adjustment setting to insure it fits you properly. tomp dd50

·
Registered
126 Posts
I think it is great idea, esp if you are interested in an rt. I do this when I buy cars and it has helped in the buying decision. Allegedly the 13 will be water cooled so I suspect lots of things will be different from whatever year you rent and the 2013. If you are interested in gps with the new bike then I suggest getting it with the rental. BTW BMW is offering gps with the purchase of a 2012 RT. The GPS is about $895 before install.
Have fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kind of a bummer it's so old, but at least I'll get an idea of what they feel like after some miles.

How much more power did the updated engine get and where exactly in the powerband?

·
Registered
550 Posts
According to motorcyclespecs.co, the 06 and 12 have the same hp, 110, and the 12 has one more ft lb of torque, 88 to 89. The DOHC heads breathe better, but emissions requirements made in the past six years probably eats up any real gains, that would have been made.
In 2011, they got 130 hp from the DOHC used in the HP2 Sport Motorsport Special Edition, so power can be made from the new engine.

I had an 03 1150 and the overall between it and the 12 really isn't that great. Both were/are a ball to ride.

BTW, I read on another forum that the 2013 RT would still be an air/oil head as they are not having to build all bikes to euro5 specs yet. Guess we will see soon...tomp dd50.

Looks like they are coming out with an even wilder super sport bike for 13, though.

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_HP4 13.htm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I heard the RT will be air-cooled as well, which makes me really happy. Liquid cooling will add weight and most likely complications at least at first. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes, I'm picking it up tomorrow at 7pm and taking it home so I can wake up and ride it the next morning nice and early, just like I own it (sort-of).

·
Registered
128 Posts
RyanW said:
I heard the RT will be air-cooled as well, which makes me really happy. Liquid cooling will add weight and most likely complications at least at first. I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes, I'm picking it up tomorrow at 7pm and taking it home so I can wake up and ride it the next morning nice and early, just like I own it (sort-of).
Hope you enjoy the ride, I know I did.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I just got it home and getting it ready for tomorrow. Rode 14 miles of busy freeway and it's such an incredible machine already. Seems a little different than the '12 I test rode, noticably slower or less fast, and the screen doesn't seem near as good. It also seems to vibrate more :rolleyes:

I can not believe how much those pistons knocking around in there effect the bike. Nature of the beast? The crank facing that way seems to be excellent for handling and changing direction though. Speed bump? Where? My DRZ400SM didn't even make those bums disappear.

I'm going to try and make a 500 mile loop tomorrow before I need to get it back at 7pm. Hopefully I can sleep tonight, and this is just a rental, I can't imagine having a brand new one all set up the way I like it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can attest to the amazingness of this bike. I fought buying a BMW for years b/c I felt they were too expensive for what you got (I somehow rationalized a 22k HD though). I took the local dealer's demo out Saturday and bought it yesterday...ha.

·
Registered
550 Posts
You live in the right state for that bike. Enjoy the ride however far you go. The 12 is a great bike, more costly, but so much nicer than a C14, FJR, or ST. Like my Dyna, the RT just feels like a motorcycle should. tomp dd50

Congrats gadgetech on the new scoot. For the money, I could have gotten an Ultra, but wanted the RT instead, too...tp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I'm thinking of going north to the Wyoming border on 14 I think it is.

I'll have to wait until I get back tomorrow, but I really could see myself dropping the whole 21K on this thing. I will be super sad to my Blackbird go but I think those days are behind me anyway.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Ryan, I do understand the Blackbird statement. Rode both a ZZR1200 scary fast, and a 1050ST, almost as fast, and let them both go. Fast is one thing but comfort all day long is another. I doubt you will regret the purchase of an RT. Gadgetech didn't...tomp dd50

·
Registered
128 Posts
RyanW said:

I'll have to wait until I get back tomorrow, but I really could see myself dropping the whole 21K on this thing. I will be super sad to my Blackbird go but I think those days are behind me anyway.
I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion of the bike after your ride tomorrow. Have fun!

·
Registered
236 Posts
RyanW said:

Ryan,

Many of us RT owners were at the same place you are now. I had series of Honda Intercepters and a Triumph Trophy and now the RT. I think the RT is a favorite for former sport bike riders who are passed the sport bike phase and do not want a cruiser.

I did the same thing as you and rented one for a day and it helped confirm my wanting an RtT. I hope you enjoy the test ride.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, my ride was cut rather short by some pretty major rain fall but I found out everything I needed to know.

Basically, everything about the bike is what I'm looking for...except the engine. :stir:
Please don't flame me! The Blackbird's engine I now realize is one of the most flexable and smoothest out there so I have pretty high standards (if that's the right word) I don't want to go into specifics because I am just really picky, it's a fantastic powerplant I just haven't deciced yet if it's for me.

Now, the good stuff. What flickable lightweight! I don't know how they did it but the thing feel like it's 300lbs at times. The shaft drive is great, the paralever is just awesome and nothing like I expected. Such a plush ride (mine wasn't ESA) the wind protection is great and the adjustable screen is very useful. I've wanted to be protected from the rain for a loooong time and the fairing does such a great job, it just makes rain riding so much less of a pita. And the bags, wow do they work good and having a top box is just tits. I've always had soft luggage so what as nice change.

I was surprised my legs felt a little cramped but the seat (if adjustable) felt like it was on a low setting. Speaking of the seat, that seems about as good as you can get from a stock seat. Overall it's a brilliant bike and I really don't know what I'm going to do. At $21,000+ I was hoping to have my mind made up by now but I'm afriad that's not the case.

I'm trying to remember that this thing is totally stock and customizing it will make a huge difference and the fact that it is stock and I like it so much says volumes. I guess what I really need to know is how quicker that DOHC is.

Attachments

·
Registered
550 Posts
It sounds as if it was a worthwhile ride. A boxer twin will never be as smooth as an I4, but it is a really good engine. FWIW, if not in a hurry, wait until the Triumph Trophy SE is av available the first quarter of '13. Looks just like an RT, same basic dimensions, but heavier.; A 3 cylinder 1200cc engine with135HP. It was built to be directed at RT owners and potential owners. I traded a Tiger 1050 in on my RT, and also owned a 1050ST, and the triple us unique and will feel more like the Honda, but sound much cooler.

Not trying to talk you out of the RT, but the Trophy may be a better fit for you. tomp dd50

Ask your dealer for a demo on the 12 to get a feel of the acceleration differences. And I thought you said you were past the Blackbird. Guess we will never be happy with out speed at a wrist twist...tp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ryan, FWIW.
Go back and get that demo on the 2012.
I just bought a new 2012 but I started off testing a used 08. The dealer had a new rt on demo and as a afterthought I took it out on a ride. To me there was a big difference in the bikes. The 12 was smoother and felt crisper. I liked the 08 but I love my 12.
They should be happy to give you a few hours to make that choice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a good idea and I'll do it this weekend. That '12 did seem more refined, keep in mind I was riding above 8000ft today, bikes run like crap up here in Colorado. Too much power is almost enough at this altitiude :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Ryan,

There is an important difference in the transmission ratios that came in with the 2010 models. You will find the 2010+ will have shorter gearing than the 2006. IMHO, this translated into a great improvement in response in 1st through 3rd. Also, there were changes to the braking system in 2007.

And, yes, the 1200 boxer twin has a distinct "character", but it is still a wonderfully responsive engine. Of course, it is no match for a 164hp sportbike engine; but if you really want that, why not buy a RR?

Please demo the 2012 before making your decision... :thumb:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts