BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sierra BMW in Reno called and said Ali is ready to come home!

I am going to pick him up on Tuesday. Yep, I figured with my luck, I want to pick the bike up the day BMW dealers OPEN. That way I will have a place to park the bike should it break down on the way home. (I swear, I never use to think like that!)

I am planning a stop in Anderson, CA on the way home. This is not the best riding weather but it has to be done.

Those of you, that live around Reno, NV and Anderson, CA or Interstate 5, I have a question for you: How are the roads?

Please PM me.

Meese, I understand you just did this. How was it? I am planning on arriving back in Seattle on Thursday or Friday. They expect it to warm up to the 50's on those two days.

TIA,

Reactions: heywood

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
That's GREAT news Coni!

Please be careful, and to the extent possible, enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
About time

That's good news Coni. Glad to hear you'll be back in the saddle again. I know it's been a real pain to not have Ali where he belongs.

Have a safe ride home!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Actually Ken is up here in Portland and heading back home today I think. If you get up this way and need help with anything let us know. I offered Ken my shop to store his bike if he didn't feel like riding home more as a joke than anything else but the offer is there and I have plenty of room.

PM me if you want some contact numbers.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Great news Coni!

Did they finally get a transmission from Germany, or another source?

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

I will have my computer and my cell phone with me if I need any help. I really do not anticipate any problems I just want to know if there is a rock slide or an ice blizzard I have missed while tuning into TWC etc. I have had my ear to the ground since the call came in and I understand there was some wind, snow and ice. I plan on leaving around noon and stopping every night as the temps drop. Got all my gear so, I'm good to go, I just wanted to avoid any obviously bad situations that I don't know about. I carry my BMW dealers in my GPS and my BMWMOA book so I'm covered.

I will stay tuned for Ken's report. Tell him to ride safe!

Thanks and you know I will be in touch.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Hey Coni,
We had our first Chain controls on 80 over the summit last night, storm dropped 4 to 6" of snow last night. There is another storm due in Monday and hopefully will clear out before you try and cross the Sierra's on Tuesday. They have been working on 80 to resurface the road but it is still really rough in a lot of areas.
Another option would be to take 89 out of truckee to 70 through Quincy and down the feather river canyon. That is as long as the snow is cleared on 89.

If you wait until Wednesday you could join us for an HDDC dinner ride in Sacramento. :D

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Transmission

dshealey said:
Great news Coni!

David,

The tranny was one of the four that was backordered from Germany.

It's in and the guys took Ali out for a long (100 mile) workout to see how he was adapting to all of the new installations. He passed with flying colors

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
amarider said:
Hey Coni,
We had our first Chain controls on 80 over the summit last night, storm dropped 4 to 6" of snow last night. There is another storm due in Monday and hopefully will clear out before you try and cross the Sierra's on Tuesday. They have been working on 80 to resurface the road but it is still really rough in a lot of areas.
Another option would be to take 89 out of truckee to 70 through Quincy and down the feather river canyon. That is as long as the snow is cleared on 89.

If you wait until Wednesday you could join us for an HDDC dinner ride in Sacramento. :D
John,
Would riding up 395 into Susanville, CA be better or worse?
Thanks,

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Coni,
You have 3 basic routes to choose from to get from Reno to Rick's place.

I-80 to Hwy 20 across to Hwy 99 or I-5 and up to Anderson.
This route is plowed over the top and during the day will be clear if its not snowing at the time of crossing. If the weather is bad be careful on the start of 20 or skip it all together and stay on I-80.

Hwy 395 to Hwy 70 to 99 and up to Anderson.
This route has the lowest elevations and follows the valleys through the Sierra's (feather river canyon). This route is longer but is the most scenic and worth the ride. Should be clear but is less traveled that the interstate.

Hwy 395 to Anderson to Hwy36 down to Anderson.
Should be clear up to Susanville but you could easily hit snow on the road on 36, may even have chain controls.

If all roads are clear and the Monday storm is light, then the last choice is a good mix scenic and direct but watch for black ice after dark or if it's cold that day. Even though it's longer I would choose the feather river canyon.

Reactions: black1200lt

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If all roads are clear and the Monday storm is light, then the last choice is a good mix scenic and direct but watch for black ice after dark or if it's cold that day. Even though it's longer I would choose the feather river canyon.

Thanks John,
That was my first choice.
I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Great news! Remember he's been cooped up as well so loosen the reins on him when you get the chance.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks-

Thanks to all,

What a great group we have. You are all so nice.

I don't leave until Tuesday but I'm so excited that I already have my bags packed and sitting next to me as I watch The Weather Channel.

Yep, everyone is laughing cause I am so excited.

It will be an adventure, but I really need one about now.

Just to cover my bases, one of my buddies has saved me a stall in her garage in California.

One way or another, I am going to get a fun ride!

Yee Haw!!!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
black1200lt said:
Thanks to all,

What a great group we have. You are all so nice.
We HAVE to be nice. Miss Manners is watching us. :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I'd go South on 395 to Ridgecrest then over to I-5 and up to Anderson...(if you have the time)
Donner Pass can get real nasty fast.............
Wishing you a good trip

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
Coni,

That is great news about your bike!

Although I was kinda pullin' for the fly to Germany and bring one back idea. :D

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'm glad to hear your getting your freedom back. When I saw your bike drawn and quartered and hanging in the shop 3 weeks ago, I didn't think they'd ever be able to reassemble all that stuff. Enjoy your ride. I was in Reno yesterday and the signs along I80 said that carrying chains was necessary. Reno was nice in the morning but got real windy in the afternoon.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Great news.

Coni,

It's good to hear Ali has all his parts and is now one handsome and buff dude. ;) Be careful on the way home. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts