BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Remus question regarding louvored baffle

I have read that most people add a 4 inch piece of pipe into their Remus to reduce the drone but I wonder if anyone has considered something like this:

I wonder if it will make any difference in the sound compared to the non louvered pipe. My Remus is on order to replace my rusted out exhaust on my 2003 LT and I plan on installing the pipe before it is installed next week.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I liked the sound that came from my Remus, but tried the 4" pipe to see if it made a difference. I could not tell if it was in or not when riding.

Mu Remus is now as old as the bike and still seems like new. Just a hint when you install it. Put some grease on each copper washer (there is one for each of the 4 pipes) before you try to install it. Keeps them from falling off. I learned the hard way and it took about an hour to get it all balanced by myself.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I added the pipe and reduced the sound by more than 1/2......
What you're showing reminds me of when we use to take baffles out, and if caught, inserted beer cans opened around with a church key.....
Worked pretty well.....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DanDiver said:
I liked the sound that came from my Remus, but tried the 4" pipe to see if it made a difference. I could not tell if it was in or not when riding....
You are the first one that I have seen to say that the pipe didn't make a difference. Every post that I could find mentioned that the pipe reduced the drone. Do you wear earplugs? Maybe that explains it.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
KayGee said:
You are the first one that I have seen to say that the pipe didn't make a difference. Every post that I could find mentioned that the pipe reduced the drone. Do you wear earplugs? Maybe that explains it.
Maybe a placebo effect on the part of the testers?

I really didn't spend a lot of time comparing and possible with an A/B test, could have. I do wear a full face helmet most of the time and when the pipe was installed, wore ear plugs. Ear plugs started to bother and I haven't found a pair that are comfortable for more than an hour or so, even custom ones.

Getting a piece of pipe is cheep and easy and if anyone wants to try, it's an easy test. I just couldn't tell a difference and like the sound of the Remus.... especially approaching 4,000 RPMS, I don't have to look at the tach.....

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Mt guess is that the baffle will alter the exhaust flow, reducing the benefit of the exhaust system?

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Dan's ears must not be clearing so well because he is a diver ....
The tube makes a HUGE difference in the low rpm droning rumble of the stock Remus street can.

It's all good Dan, fewer and fewer LT owners as years go along with fewer yet willing to purchase a Remus system for $$$ bucks !!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
motorhead said:
The tube makes a HUGE difference in the low rpm droning rumble of the stock Remus street can.

It's all good Dan, fewer and fewer LT owners as years go along with fewer yet willing to purchase a Remus system for $$$ bucks !!
I have the exhaust and the pipe in hand. My guy is going to install it on Monday and I can hardly wait. I thought about drilling a screw in the bottom to hold in the pipe but the end of the exhaust looks like it might be coated with some ceramic type material so I'm afraid to drill into it. I might just try to wedge the pipe in with a hammer and hope that it doesn't come out.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
motorhead said:

I'm sorry, what did you say ? :)

Based upon what K1200LT are going for these days, I might just come out ahead by piecing mine out in a fe months!

Lets see:

one Remus muffler, slightly used $$$
one Volt meter
one Smarttire system etc......

·
Registered
607 Posts
DanDiver said:
I'm sorry, what did you say ? :)

I might just come out ahead by piecing mine out in a few months!

one Smarttire system etc......

Would it be immature (or premature) of me to call "Dibbs" on the smart tire system?

Seriously, I am interested if you decide to sell it.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
607 Posts
KayGee said:
I have the exhaust and the pipe in hand. My guy is going to install it on Monday and I can hardly wait. I thought about drilling a screw in the bottom to hold in the pipe but the end of the exhaust looks like it might be coated with some ceramic type material so I'm afraid to drill into it. I might just try to wedge the pipe in with a hammer and hope that it doesn't come out.

May I ask where you found the pipe?

I have the Remus and would like to try this mod to see what difference it makes.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
607 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I put my pipe back in (came with the Remus)....it was quieter...didn't do a dB check though. I'm trying it to see if it makes a big difference in MPG....all I'm getting so far is the fact that its not as noisy when I start it up in the garage!

On another note....FWIW catagory.....I don't take stock in the "louder pipes draw attention to those in front of you at intersections or the road" mentality....I just try my best to always think the guy/gal (on the phone) is going to do the worst and prepare accordingly!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GlennM86 said:
Thanks for the source KayGee.

Safe to assume you ordered a 12" length of OD 1.25" and wall of .049"?

How much of that length is needed for the Remus mod?
No, I only bought 4"

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I bought mine from a local metals dealer.
I installed 4"...was quieter and no noticable back pressure.....
SO....I installed 6" and was much quieter and still better response than the stock silencer..........
(my OEM header had cracked in a place impossible to weld, and welders all said "this is really thin material....is this what BMW makes"? .......so I had put an entire Remus system including headers on)................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts