BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have a Remus exhaust for sale in the classifieds.
Dave, I pulled up some videos to try and get an idea on how much louder it is than stock and even though it is tough to tell on a video, I am interested in it seeing mine has a hole in it anyways. Can anyone tell me how much louder the Remus is over stock? The videos still sounded pretty good.

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had a Remus on a K12GT, the sound was great!

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
And, unlike many aftermarket exhaust systems, you can get a couple of extra HP for your bike plus it is way lighter. Noise is of course a little more, not much and even with the baffle removed it is okay. The large silencer body does a good job. Keep in mine, California has a law about aftermarket exhaust now. I suspect mainly the harley boys and girls will learn about that first.

·
Registered
179 Posts
No Remus on my RT (ever) but I had one on my XR1200. A real quality piece with one exception. The exception is that the weld on the rear header at the exhaust port was huge, actually reducing the ID of the pipe a couple of MM. It took some time to grind it down to match the port and header ID. That aside, the Remus pipe was the best made aftermarket exhaust in my limited experience, good welds, everything lined up well during assembly, really well made muffler, etc.

As far as noise, the XR (DB killer in) was just this side of my obnoxious line, far louder than the RT. My next door neighbor is a friend, she made a comment about hearing me come and go on the XR. Not loud enough to make her angry, just loud enough, in spite of my efforts to keep the noise down in my 'hood, she could hear me inside her house. Not scientific but I hope that helps you get an idea of the volume level.

Somebody will probably correct me but IIRC the the change between the older laws in Europe (what the Remus probably meets, DB killer in) to Euro V (what the new BMWs are built to meet) is about two DB, something like a 50% increase is sound energy.

How loud is too loud is up to you (and at some point your local police), good luck.

I have a Remus exhaust for sale in the classifieds.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
The only thing I really noticed on a bike with a Remus is you cannot use a socket and extension on the inner bolts for the manifold like you can for the stock exhaust. Make getting the torque correct a bit of a pain.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
It's mine. Thanks Dave.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Dave, I pulled up some videos to try and get an idea on how much louder it is than stock and even though it is tough to tell on a video, I am interested in it seeing mine has a hole in it anyways. Can anyone tell me how much louder the Remus is over stock? The videos still sounded pretty good.
It sounds almost stock at an idle, and roars when you need to move!
I like it because it allows easy access for changing the trans fluid, and it weighs a bit less, too!

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
I had the same on my LT (bought from a member of this forum) and it really didn't seem to be any louder at low speed, but at higher RPMs it did sound a little different. I preferred the look and I think it might have weighed less than the stock unit. If you don't have help installing it, put a little grease on the ends of each header pipe to hold the washer in place.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
The studs and nuts for the header can show their age. Generally you end up pulling a stud when trying to remove the nuts. No worries, wire brush everything. I do suggest new nuts from BMW. The torque involved is 16 ft/lbs. You should use new header seals also. Neversieze is your friend.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
Reactions: pkpr1998

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just bought one last week from Michigan Motorcycle on eBay. It's a Remus Innovation. Not cheap, but else I had to weld the header of my stock exhaust because of a crack. Hope it sounds nice 🙂 When fitted I will try to post the sound on YouTube. There is nothing out there with the combination k1200lt and Remus.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I just bought one last week from Michigan Motorcycle on eBay. It's a Remus Innovation. Not cheap, but else I had to weld the header of my stock exhaust because of a crack. Hope it sounds nice 🙂 When fitted I will try to post the sound on YouTube. There is nothing out there with the combination k1200lt and Remus.
Before and after would be nice if possible :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
I bought a used Remus from a German shop just this past spring. I have a 2000 LT. It is not a lot louder except when accelerating. I am an IBA member and have made some long rides and I do not find it objectionable at all. I love it and that is a good price.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Was it sold?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Before and after would be nice if possible :)
I tried to record the difference in sound with my mobile phone. Not really good to hear maybe, but I think it gives a nice impression.

My experience after 40 kilometers: I drive with a constant smile on my face :) It seems like the engine revs faster, which in itself would make sense because the flow should be better. The original exhaust is really quiet, for daily use I can imagine that this is crucial. For my hobby use of the LT I am very happy with the sound of the Remus. With a downgear you also hear a nice rumble, when driving on the CC there is almost no noticeable difference. After dissembling my old exhaust, I heard a lot of rubbish in the collector. And there was a crack just before the collector, a known problem with the standard exhaust.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I tried to record the difference in sound with my mobile phone. Not really good to hear maybe, but I think it gives a nice impression.

My experience after 40 kilometers: I drive with a constant smile on my face :) It seems like the engine revs faster, which in itself would make sense because the flow should be better. The original exhaust is really quiet, for daily use I can imagine that this is crucial. For my hobby use of the LT I am very happy with the sound of the Remus. With a downgear you also hear a nice rumble, when driving on the CC there is almost no noticeable difference. After dissembling my old exhaust, I heard a lot of rubbish in the collector. And there was a crack just before the collector, a known problem with the standard exhaust.
Remon, your timing is perfect. I just got mine off the lift last night and am about to take it out and see for myself but I can hear the difference in your video and based on my running it on the lift, that is about what I would expect.

I like your adjustable strut on the FD. Did you put that on or did it come with it from a PO? It looks like it is about in the normal position so if you added it, what purpose was it for, raising, lowering?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
The Remus isn’t as much louder as I thought it might be. I could barely tell the difference in the video, but then you tend to lose a lot in recording such things. And it takes a lot of exhaust noise to drown out the LTs natural engine mechanical and induction noise. :grin:

Reactions: kbob12
1 - 20 of 31 Posts