BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Remus exhaust on a 2000 model. I tried to add the 4inch tubing to the back of the exhaust to quiet it down a bit. The hardware store only had aluminum, not steel tubing. I tacked it to the exhaust with a copper RVS. Problem is that it only stays in place for only about a day then blows out.

Any thoughts as to how to make it more secure. Could it be the aluminum does not tack in place as well as the steel tubing. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I'll assume that by "tack" you are referring to tack welding?

If you have a steel exhaust, you can't weld an aluminum tube to it. Mechanical fasteners are probably your best bet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The tack is actually copper RVS silicone. I am still wondering if it does not hold on the aluminum.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Exhaust

Have you thought about going back to the stock muffler?

Can't think of any reason to change out the stock one, unless it is worn out, and I have never worn out a BMW muffler, after taking two to over 120,000 each.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John

The bike came to me (used) with the Rhine chip Remus exhaust modification.
It did not come with the stock pipes, nor stock chip. I think the modifications
make the bike run better than the several stock K1200LTs I have ridden. The modified Remus pipe is not all that much louder than stock but quieter is always better, especially for the wife. The 4inch tubing insert sounds like a simple modification to try.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I had the same problem.....kept coming out............................
drliied a small hole thru Remus and into tubing and inserted a screw...............
No more probs

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
STARFIGHTER said:
I had the same problem.....kept coming out............................
drliied a small hole thru Remus and into tubing and inserted a screw...............
No more probs
Good thought. Will try it out tonight. Thanks

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I've also ridden chipped LT's with the Remus - I can honestly say I could not feel any difference in performance. Maybe so, but the limiting issue in getting any more horsepower or torque out of the pre 05 LT engine is the fuel injectors - if you don't change them out I can't see ANY way to bump power. It sure sounded more powerful... ;)

The engine is designed very similar to the old BMW ETA car engines - on the side of fuel economy. I had a new '87 528e and it ran just great. I installed a Dinan chip and open exhaust for about $1K - and it ran exactly the same!

It sure sounded more powerful... ;)

Why not just go back to a stock exhaust and save your hearing - I'll bet you can find some near OEM quality used units out there for just a few bucks. :bmw:

·
Registered
510 Posts
I agree that with just the Remus install the improvement is slight at best. I recently installed the 05 cam gear set from Rhinewest in my LT. I can clearly tell the difference now. No bull, it pulls much harder from the start and thru mid range. When I had Remus do the install, I was told that if I wanted to maximize the benefits of the Remus exhaust I should also change the cam gears. I was quite surprised with the results. As you can see by the attached graph the top end pretty much stays the same. http://www.rhinewestperformance.com/K1200LT.htm

May we never find the end of the road!

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

RonKMiller said:
I've also ridden chipped LT's with the Remus - I can honestly say I could not feel any difference in performance. Maybe so, but the limiting issue in getting any more horsepower or torque out of the pre 05 LT engine is the fuel injectors - if you don't change them out I can't see ANY way to bump power. It sure sounded more powerful... ;)

The engine is designed very similar to the old BMW ETA car engines - on the side of fuel economy. I had a new '87 528e and it ran just great. I installed a Dinan chip and open exhaust for about $1K - and it ran exactly the same!

It sure sounded more powerful... ;)

Why not just go back to a stock exhaust and save your hearing - I'll bet you can find some near OEM quality used units out there for just a few bucks. :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Did the same thing on my 05'. Remus Ti system and Rhinewest cam gears, now it sounds more powerful....but is!

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you are not interested in the sound improvement with the Remus, you're right, with only a reported 5 hp or so increase, performance is little reason to change out the stock exhaust.

As far as the sound restricting modification, I used the 4" steel tubing with the proper 1.250 O.D. (outside diameter) and 020 wall thickness described and once inserted, it ain't coming out except with some strong tugging with a needle nose plyers. No set screw needed.

I enjoyed the sound of the Remus...but to each, their own. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I changed from OEM to Remus because my stock header cracked in a place that couldn't be welded and when I took it off was surprised at how thin the material was......
I went to Remus header and exhaust just because it was cheaper and better quality.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allan

Drilled a small hole and added a screw to fasten the 4inch tube. So far so good
looks pretty solid and less drone. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts