BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm considering removing the mirrors to replace them by those that come with the K1200RS.

But I was wondering if anyone would have an idea how to "hide" the plastic area that appears where the genuine mirrors use to be... Any tip ?

Cheers,

PA

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
I haven't seen anything that covers that area. I have the RS mirrors but I kept the stock mirrors as well. The few bikes I've seen with the setup you want to run just leave them exposed. You could probably fabricate something, but I have no idea what it would take to do that and have something that looks like it belongs on the bike (depending on how pleasing to the eye you need it to be).

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
What if you could fabricate some running lights to go there?

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
"What if you could fabricate some running lights to go there?"

That's the ticket---twin HID --- Photon Torpedos

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
While at CCR this year I noticed someone had done just what you are considering. They had removed what would be the Chrome part on the custom model and left the painted portion to be reinstalled on the bike. It was not bad looking, but did catch my eye.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Use the original mirrors as turn signals

I have the RS mirrors but I have never considered removing the stock mirrors. Instead I use them for additional turn signals. Muth Signals backwards and 20 led "mercedes style" in the front side.

And besides, I would think that removing the stock mirrors would have some affect in the wind protection of the handlebars as well.

Just my 2 eurocents worth...

Regards

Attachments

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
buffalo said:
Sounds interesting... Any chance to get one or two pics ? :)

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain
I did not get any pictures. It was just something I had noticed while admiring other bikes in the parking lot. Sorry

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Replace the glass with alumimum panel and mount meters and guages, maybe a dvd screen.:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could someone post a pic of the RS mirrors please ? Any clue of the part number and the price ?

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Trying to narrow the "fat lady" for the split lane dance, huh? ;-)

For those of you that does not have the problem we have here in the Paris area, here's the scope.

The LT has its mirrors mounted at just about the same height as the external mirrors on most cars. This is a real problem when you are trying to get through traffic and only have an inch or two to spare. Hence a complete removal of the stock mirrors and replace them with handlebar mounted mirrors is a good solution.

Stefan

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
To find part numbers, look in the upper right corner for the Technical menu, then under that for Accessories. Click on Part Numbers, then scroll down to RS Mirrors that will fit the LT .

And Stefan, we have the same problem with car mirrors and the same solution here in California. And I must say that Paris is the only city I saw where the cars try to split lanes as well. My learning to ride in SoCal really paid off there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Stefan,

Please let me know if you will have the same problem as me in Paris once you will be installed in Sweden :)

Looking forward to reading you !

Cheers,

Pierre-Alain

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Ari,
did you made your self that turn sign or it's the original mercedes part?
Mind to share the procedures to get that here?
Thank you

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Use the original mirrors as turn signals

Pozo,
I like those turn signals on the mirrors. MB? What's the model #? Do they fit flush without modification?

Thanks,
Colby

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
how does the Hella light do when u drop the bike? Does it hit? Is it also pop-off?

Bob

·
Registered
399 Posts
Cannot imagine, for the life of me, why anyone would want to destroy th LT's flowing lines by removing the mirrors......and then try to cobble up sime kind of goofy crap to cover up the scars. Makes the poor bike look like the Venus di Milo.....without the cleavage.

Reactions: Voyager

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a 2000 lt. Well my stock mirrors we're hanging on by a thread (2 out of 3 attachment points) so I installed rs mirrors. I made covers for the spot where they go with kydex thermo plastic. Frequently used to make knife sheaths (bladesmith in my free time) and gun holsters. It's not perfect but it's better than 150$ mirrors I will probably knock off again. When I get better I will replace them, and install tethers. But the RS mirrors do seem to give a better rearview. I molded it with a heat gun for the most part. I thinks it's better than it was imho.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
I recently purchased a 2000 lt. Well my stock mirrors we're hanging on by a thread (2 out of 3 attachment points) so I installed rs mirrors. I made covers for the spot where they go with kydex thermo plastic. Frequently used to make knife sheaths (bladesmith in my free time) and gun holsters. It's not perfect but it's better than 150$ mirrors I will probably knock off again. When I get better I will replace them, and install tethers. But the RS mirrors do seem to give a better rearview. I molded it with a heat gun for the most part. I thinks it's better than it was imho.
As long as you don't mind ugly as sin looks. >:)

When my spring clip mounts broke I was able to repair them with fiberglass cloth, sheet ABS and ABS cement.

Others have used strong magnets or just bolted them on, but the latter means damage if you graze anything.

I would want to keep them as they provide much of the weather protection for your hands. I added convex auxiliary mirrors for better blind spot visibility in addition to repairing and reinforcing the spring clips on my stock mirrors.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts