BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starcom1 system opinions

I would like to install a Starcom1 system on my 02 K1200LT.
Any experiences, or opinions with this unit? Thanks!

Paul ("Tat")

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Tat_n_Telle said:
I would really like to remove the cassette player on my '02 K1200LT. Is this possible without messing up the radio operation
Afraid not -- the cassette is just like a car unit, built into the radio chassis (only the controls have been moved to a remote location).

·
Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mneblett said:
Afraid not -- the cassette is just like a car unit, built into the radio chassis (only the controls have been moved to a remote location).
Thanks, I realized that shortly after posting - I wish there were a way to delete your own thread before admitting to the world how stupid the original post was!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
mneblett said:
True...it IS possible to remove the cassette, but only if you replace the whole radio. My radio got a short in it recently and had static that couldn't be removed, so the dealer replaced it under my extended warranty. Since BMW doesn't make the LT radios with cassettes anymore, they replaced it with a single-CD unit, which was fine with me because I removed the 6-CD changer long ago (and never use the cassette player). Since my extended warranty covered the replacement, I'm not sure what the cost was, but I think they said it would have been about a grand if I'd paid for it myself...

Frankly, rather than pay that kind of money, though, I'd just get a Garmin 376C, which is a great GPS AND has weather and XM radio built into it, and wire that into your existing radio or com system...:cool:

·
Registered
227 Posts
extended warrenty

Hello, Can you tell me about your extended warranty; is it BMW or after market? Who is the administrator? Thanks for the help. Don :)

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
DMiller said:
Can you tell me about your extended warranty; is it BMW or after market? Who is the administrator?
It is not a BMW policy, but I bought it from the dealer when I bought the bike. It is called Motorcycle Plus DFS Advantage Plan. My understanding is that there are several companies offering extended warranties, and your dealer undoubtedly sells at least one. My dealer here (Ride West in Seattle) hadn't heard of my particular warranty (I bought the bike from Cascade before they went out of business), but they didn't have any problem getting the repair authorized and handled. HTH.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts