BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my last LT a couple of years ago and I miss it, so I am in the market for a new LT. I am looking for a 1999-2002 Non-servo bike. I found an 01 that I think would work for me, nice shape, decent price, but it is Purple. I can get over the color, but someone spent a lot of time and money adding flames, blue pinstripe flames. EVERY panel. Every panel has stripes, flames, or ornate lines.
I checked and these are painted, not tape. Any idea how to remove the stripes?
I can see that someone has taken care of the bike, and it has Speigler brake lines, a dash shelf, rack, etc. It is at a dealer right now. The first owner traded it in on a Wing, then it was sold to a guy that had it 6 months, then it was traded in again and sold to a guy from Australia that used it with his brother to ride around the USA, then it was traded in again. So, this dealer has sold it twice. I figure they have made enough money on this thing that they should be flexible on the price.
If I can get rid of the awful flame stripes, I might make an offer on it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Considering it is heavily pinstriped it would probably be a bit like tattoo removal. in certain light you will most likely always be able to see that it had tattoos' I mean pin stripes.
Perhaps this is why nobody wants to keep it. The removal probably exceeds the value of the bike.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It depends on how professionally it has been done. If it is 2K lacquered then only flat and respray will work. However, it may have been done with aerosol cans if you are lucky. Test an inconspicuous area with some thinners / gunwash. (I think you lot refer to it as "reducer" for some reason.) If you use a clean white cloth you will see if any colour transfers. If so, then try it a bit wetter and longer contact. It should eventually wipe off leaving the original finish just needing to be polished. No colour transfer, no way it is going to happen. Remove panels, flat and respray.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
If the art work was done using typical pin strip material EASY OFF OVEN cleaner will remove it. Used to be popular for riding couples to have their names painted on the back of the trunk on touring bikes. That was easily removed using oven cleaner without affecting the OEM paint. However, as someone has already mentioned, since the "art work" has been protecting the underlying OEM paint it will not have suffered the ravages of years of exposure to the sun and therefore the area covered by the art will most likely stand out.

Reactions: saddleman

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I should just pass on this one for now. I have seen others for the same price without the stripes. Not a fan of the purple, and the stripes just take it over the top.
I would not want to get another bike that I do not enjoy, one is enough. I have a Goldwing and hate the thing.

Reactions: Scimitar
1 - 5 of 5 Posts