BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I got a bargain on Ebay, a set of chrome mirror covers. However I am finding it impossible to remove the mirrors from the old mirror pods. Any ideas, so far I have loosened the two "studs" coming through from the mirrors and they dont seem to come away all together. I cannot fond any non destructive way of removing the top black cover that goes around the top of the mirror covers to get at the mirrors themselves. Please help

·
Registered
62 Posts
pop them out carefully

They pop out. Put a flat thin bar from the top down behind the mirror glass about 1.5 to 2 inches and pry gently out. Be careful not to pry on the plastic housing that holds the glass to the back plate. Pry gently or the glass will break. I found out the hard way. I will be interested to see if anyone here has a better way.
Mike

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
This procedure has worked for a lotta folks (but not all), including me - remove the mirror pod from the bike; locate a soft cushioned piece of rug or mat; slam the mirror pod down on the rug/mat with the mirror facing the rug/mat; do the slam with conviction and if successful, it should just pop out of the pod. If no joy after the second slam, then try the pry-bar method. Try these at your own risk tho - the success rate with either procedure is less than 100%. HTH.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Never having done this, but an idea:

Take two strands of dental floss - say about 2 foot long each. Slip mid point of each strand behind the mirror and pull free ends acroos to opposite sides. Do this for each strand, but from opposite sides. Idea is to create a floss 'cradle' behind the glass. When everything is in place - pull sharply.

Maybe something 'broader' like a shoe lace or ribbon of some kind. Distribute the load across the back of the mirror....

Sound reasonable?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts

Mark,

Look at the exploded view of the mirror, and you'll see that the mirror glass (6) is held by al plastic ring that clips on a mount inside the mirror housing (8). If you turn the glass pushing the side that (in a mounted position) is closest to the dashboard into the mirror housing, you'll have some room to see under the glass on the opposite side. If you pry in a long screwdriver you can separate the plastic ring from the mount. Be careful, because you can easily break the glass.

Once the glass is off, taking apart the housing speaks for itself. Reassembling is in the reverse order. Needless to say that when you're mounting the glass again you can only push the center of the glass.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Stop Stop Stop Stop

cHECK OUT THE POST ON THE NEXT PAGE. I JUST DID IT YESTERDAY. "advice on removing mirror"

·
Registered
435 Posts
Slide a thin webbed belt behind the mirror glass from the outside edge and see-saw it over to the middle of the glass. Pull on the webbed belt from the outside in and the mirror will pop off.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removing Mirrors - Now sorted

Thanks for all the advice. What I did was to to get two straps, about half an inch in width each and about a foot long. I looped them behind the mirror and pulled bot of them at the same time and the mirrors popped out. Work of caution however, put a piece of tap across the mirror housing to stop the nmirror being flipped in the air and landing on the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
How about a suction cup mount stuck the the center and then just pull? Would this work?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Texas42 said:
How about a suction cup mount stuck the the center and then just pull? Would this work?
after reading a few posts from folks who have raised the mirros to about 20 centimeters off a table and smalling the mirror down on top of the table with a rag or towel on top of the table, i doubt the suction cap idead would would.damn it would have to have some suction, and them how would you get it off with that much suck?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts