BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the '03 LT Cowl...

I have done- 4 torx screws along the channel that was holding the windshield. removed. 5th screw behind the map light on the top outside of the dash. Under the light screw securing the dash panel from the front.

After this, it is loose, but it feels like something else is holding it. I can get the side where the windlets are to come in some and I can lift the front of the cowl slightly, but it is under tension.

I can't rock the cowl either direction. All 5 screws are out. I have raised and lowered the windscreen mechanism with not help.

What have I missed????

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
There are a total of 9 fasteners. Two on each bottom side x 2; two under each mirror x 2; and one in the top center to the support frame.

And in case you meant the instrument cover there are 7. One each at the base of the windshield chrome part, x 2; one each on the side of the adjuster (have to raise it to see) x 2; one each by the winglets each side x 2 and of course the one behind the light.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the 4 around the bottom of screen.
1 behind light.
2- next to windscreen adjusters.
Didn't seem to be any near the mirrors...The cowl is loose on the sides.

The hang up seems to be in the center, maybe in front of the map light..?

Trying to get at back of instruments..under windshield.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Gotta love the LT and all of the hidden screws. What is this map light you speak of?

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
the light under the cowl, top of speedo cluster has a phillips head screw behind it, pull out the light

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm trying to remove the instrument cover, according to the drawings. It's under the windshield and allows access to the back of the instrument cluster.

I don't think the headlight adjuster touches it, nor the mirrors. The sides of the cover are free.

The bind seems to be in the middle area. I can't raise it enough to see.

Watched some of the videos( no audio) and it seems to come right off.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I'm trying to remove the instrument cover, according to the drawings. It's under the windshield and allows access to the back of the instrument cluster.

I don't think the headlight adjuster touches it, nor the mirrors. The sides of the cover are free.

The bind seems to be in the middle area. I can't raise it enough to see.

Watched some of the videos( no audio) and it seems to come right off.
There are 4 screws along the channel, one on each side hiding behind the screen lift arms and one behind the map light. If you have all of those out, it is lose. raise the screen arms some and it should come off pretty easily.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I think Gordon got it - there are screws in the windshield adjuster arm openings, one on each side. #1 in the right diagram. Easy for me to remember since I have a shelf that uses them.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the adjuster screws as you can see from attachment.

Also attached is the max gap I can get of the instrument cover and the fairing.

Heck, I just need to rerun new GPS wiring to the dash and the cover will not come off. whatever is holding it has it good. I don't see anything in the drawings---but heck, it might be a snake!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Got the adjuster screws as you can see from attachment.

Also attached is the max gap I can get of the instrument cover and the fairing.

Heck, I just need to rerun new GPS wiring to the dash and the cover will not come off. whatever is holding it has it good. I don't see anything in the drawings---but heck, it might be a snake!
Have any electrical accessories been installed in the cover? That could mean a wire might be holding it if someone added an aftermarket outlet or such.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have any electrical accessories been installed in the cover? That could mean a wire might be holding it if someone added an aftermarket outlet or such.
Nothing mounted...stock

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
You have all the screws out. Try seating back in place and then pull the top up and forward first.

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
Have you tried moving the windshield arms down, looked fully up in one picture.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes. All up, all down, and between.

Can't figure what is holding it...seems to be in the center, but if you look at the drawings, nothing attached.

I need one of this flexible snake cameras to push in there.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
Yes. All up, all down, and between.

Can't figure what is holding it...seems to be in the center, but if you look at the drawings, nothing attached.

I need one of this flexible snake cameras to push in there.
After you pop the map light unit away from the niche, you then should see two screws that were behind it. One screw is a straight line eyesight into the opening, and is for the dash clear over; but the other one that actually holds the cowling under the windshield, you need to get yours eyes lower to the stingray to be able to look UP into that map light niche to see it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I am with Dick on this. If you looked down and removed a screw behind the map light that could be a dash screw. The cowl screw is up near the very top of the opening for the dash light and is angled up.

Red line is cowl screw, blue line is dash screw.

Attachments

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Correct call Dick!!

Got mirror and light into map light opening...there was the elusive screw...

Funny thing, last time I was in there, I painted it neon orange to make it easier to see....laugh on me.

Pulled that screw. Instrument cover came right off.

THANK YOU....

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
That tiny screw up inside the map light compartment got a lot of us the first time. I know my 02 had one....Thinking about it brings back some good memories....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts