BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new LTs don't have the brake assist anymore, is there a way to modify an 05 to the new setup?. Figure maybe the maintenance would be easier and cheaper without it...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Torch said:
The new LTs don't have the brake assist anymore, is there a way to modify an 05 to the new setup?. Figure maybe the maintenance would be easier and cheaper without it...

HUH???? does that mean the bikes brakes are now non linked?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am not sure what he is referring to. My 07LT has the linked, power assisted anti-lock braking system on it.

Ken

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm talking about the power assist setup mentioned -1. I thought they removed that for the 07+ models. Might of misread or heard it wrong from somewhere...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
The LT will most likely always have the current system until a major re-design. They have gone away from power assist on other new models. Still linked I believe but don't quote me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
brakest not th

Think you are looking at the R1200Rt. I just bought an 07 rt and they got rid of the Power servo but not the linking. The 07 LT didn't change the brakes.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
The power assistend brakes are an all year models of LTs and will continue to beuntil it is replaced or discontinued. There is no way to remove it and still have a working brake system. Newer models like the latest GTs, RTs, and GSs no longer use the power assist. I'm guessing if/when the new LT comes out it won't have it, either.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
The power assistend brakes are an all year models of LTs...
1999-2001 LT's do NOT have power assisted or linked brakes.

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Torch said:
Torch,
From my limited experience with these braking systems the only way to remove the assist would to completely redo your brake system to the early 80's style. You would loose the power assist, ABS, and linked features. Basically you would connect the front master cylinder directly to the front wheel cylinders and connect the rear master to the rear wheel cylinder.

NOTE: I do not know if the front master cylinder provides enough volume or pressure to operate your brakes effectively.

I am NOT recommending this procedure but it is the only way I can think of to remove the power assist on these bikes.

Roy

·
Registered
256 Posts
Torch said:
is there a way to modify an 05 to the new setup?
You can replace the complete brake system with a OEM parts of a '99 - '01 brake system which were not power assist.

Torch said:
Figure maybe the maintenance would be easier and cheaper without it...
Maintenance may probably be easier and cheaper, but your overall cost would probably be higher.

You will spend a lot of money to replace the brake system with OEM non-assist parts.

You will lose money on any re-sale, since the next buyer will probably want the Integral ABS and power assist that is specified for the '05.

You could by a good used '99 - '01 LT, ride it a lot, sell it and probably have more money left than if you do a brake conversion.

My opinion only.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies, just thinking along the lines of simplifying things a bit. I'm burying the thought as I type... :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts