BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've cleaned and used Novus cleaner and polish and other such products and now my windscreen is totally unclear. Soap and water does no good. Any suggestiions? :wave

·
Registered
748 Posts
Try denatured alcohol. It seems to be the only thing that removes the cleaner/wax, etc. From that point on just use soap and water to clean it. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Unfortunately, the polycarbonate screen on the LT has a scratch resistant coating on it, and should never be cleaned with any type of abrasive cleaner. Many people have ruined stock shields because of cleaning it like it was acrylic. These polycarbonate shields are MUCH safer than the normal acrylic shields because they are extremely hard to break, and if they do break they do not shatter into shards like acrylic. Unfortunately though, polycarbonate is softer, and has to have a scratch resistant coating applied. The coating does not easily withstand any type of agressive cleaning though. Abrasive cleaning can cut through the coating, exposing the softer polycarbonate in spots.The owner's manual states to only use water and soft cloths to clean, and dealers should stress this information.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When my windscreen started to fog up I thought it was polish too but it wasn't. It was moisture.
Saturate a rag with 91% or greater isopropyl alcohol and apply it on both front and rear surfaces. Then let the windscreen dry. What the alcohol does is draw the moisture out from between the top film and polycarbonate plastic . It worked for me, hope this works for you.

Good luck

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hello ssnowgun

My used 99 came with a scratched and foggy windscreen , removed wind screen from bike and blasted scratch resistant coating off with pressure washer both sides, then hand polished with Meguires mirror glaze , figured I had nothing to lose . That was 2 years ago and still just using soap ,water and Meguires .
And no more foggy wind screen

Bob G

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
Cleaned mine once with a plastic cleaner and it never was the same :(
Replaced last year and I am happy again :)
Soap and water only from now on, costly lesson for me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts