BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lifted the seat and I do see a plug directly below the drivers seat but the wire doesn't seem to be directly connected to the seat. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
kaygee said:
I lifted the seat and I do see a plug directly below the drivers seat but the wire doesn't seem to be directly connected to the seat. Am I missing something?
The wire goes fromthe seat over to the left under the side panel, down to the base of the fuel tank, then back to the plug under the left battery cover. The wire is zip-tied to the left downtube of the seat subframe, so don't try to pull it out :) Removal of teh left upper side panel is required to get to/cut the zip ties. to remove the wire.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew it wasn't as easy as I thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Keith,

You can unplug the seat if you go under the left panel but if you want to take it completely off, follow Marks directions. I didn't have to take the panel off, just cut the zip ties, to put my old heated seat on the O5. I like the wider seat and an air hawk for my fat butt. It had a custom seat so maybe the wiring was not tied/placed as it came from the factory.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yep -- it's sad but true.

I went to remove my seat to send to Russell and had to remove the left side tupperware just to clip a wire tie. Not the end of the world... just aggravating

Bill B

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Removing a Heated Seat

Another option is using quck release connectors. This will allow you to remove the seat anytime you like without having to unplug it from under the gas tank. It will take 3 sets of the connectors which are inexpensive at Radio Shack.

Just a suggestion. It does make it easier for swapping out my OEM heated seat, Corbin heated seat, and my Kontour non-heated seat.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
The wires aren't under the tank, just zip tied to the frame. Once you have cut the zip ties the seat can be unplugged with ease without removing the fairing. It's just the first time that is a pain.

You don't have to completely remove the fairing. Just remove enough screws to pull it back and get to the zip ties...

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Seat wires

This was discussed a few times on the old list.
I ran into the same thing when I replaced my stock seat with a Rick Mayer (wish I'd have gone with Russel but that's another story)
I was able to loosen the rear of the left side tupperware enough to wedge a maglight (D cell) flashlight in there for a spacer and light and then use a long needle nose to twist and pop the straps loose and pull the seat wires up and out of there, took all of 10 minutes start to finish.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I pried the panels back far enough to hold a thin flash light also but cut the zip ties with a long thin filet knife. Of course I did not zip tie the wire back to the frame.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts