BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front speaker grilles are collecting a lot of trash and need cleaning bad.
Do they just pull up and off or do I need to remove fairing ?
Thanx for any..............

·
Registered
820 Posts
i dont know how much "trash" you speaker grills have or how it would have got there, but before i went pulling the bike to bits, i would try blasting it with a ton of air fron an air compressor.
just might save you time in pulling the bike to pieces

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try a small brush with some mild soap following with
a shop vac to minimize water getting into the speaker cone area.

Has worked well for me. Follow up with a little armorall if you want
to shine them up.

·
Registered
124 Posts
jazzbass said:
Try a small brush with some mild soap following with
a shop vac to minimize water getting into the speaker cone area. Has worked well for me. Follow up with a little armorall if you want
to shine them up.
I've wondered about getting moisture into the front speaker grill area. Obviously, motorcycles, as opposed to the interior of cars, are designed to be exposed to the elements, and be able to deal with some moisture. But, sound gets out through those grills - what prevents water from simply dripping down into the speakers from such a big horizontal surface?

Would someone with some knowledge about how that part of the bike is assembled care to comment? It's a concern to me when I wash the bike. I sure don't squirt water at those grills (duhhh), but how much moisture there is too much? What happens when the bike gets parked outside and it rains?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Allan,

I bought my LT it's very own personal soft bristle tooth brush. Then I use one of those hand spray bottles and set it on the "mist" setting and lightly mist it before gently scrubbing with the soft bristle toothbrush.

Then I hold a very thin microfiber towel over the nozzle of the vacuum hose. This allows me to actually place the suction power of the vac directly on the speaker grills without marring the surface. Be certain you hold the towel firmly with your hand for obvious reasons.

This process works very well for me. You might want to try it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I thought that I was the only LT owner who washed his bike :)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Larry
Good tip
Thanx

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
LarryR said:
I bought my LT it's very own personal soft bristle tooth brush. (etc.)
I just ride mine. When I pull panels for maintenance then I'll clean them up, but if the weather is good enough to wash it, then it's good enough to ride. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I just ride mine. When I pull panels for maintenance then I'll clean them up, but if the weather is good enough to wash it, then it's good enough to ride. :)
I thought that I was the only LT owner who washed his bike
On occasion, I use going to the car wash as an excuse to ride ;).

·
Registered
538 Posts
Would someone with some knowledge about how that part of the bike is assembled care to comment? It's a concern to me when I wash the bike. I sure don't squirt water at those grills (duhhh), but how much moisture there is too much? What happens when the bike gets parked outside and it rains?[/QUOTE]

The speakers are considered waterproof. Now that doesn't mean you can squirt them directly, or flood them with water but they are made to stand up to moisture environments (rain). When you ride in the rain it doesn't hurt them although the radio and radio buttons screw up sometimes They use similar ones on boats. I don't recommend spraying them directly with water but the cleaning techniques mentioned above work well. By the way, the above comments do not confer that I have any knowledge.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The speakers are considered waterproof. Now that doesn't mean you can squirt them directly, or flood them with water but they are made to stand up to moisture environments (rain).
Thanks. Good to know.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
CriticalMass said:
On occasion, I use going to the car wash as an excuse to ride ;).
That works. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts