BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the new owner of a 2000 K1200LTC.

If I understand the previous owner correctly the fuel pump is no longer in the tank, but remotely mounted under the Tupperware on the right side below the tank and the fuel filter is under the rear seat. All plumbed with Stainless quick disconnects.

I have not found a thread about this. Anybody heard of this and can direct me to a link? I will email him to see if I can get a better explanation. I have not removed any Tupperware yet. Just trying to learn all I can about this bike and its modifications.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I am the new owner of a 2000 K1200LTC.

If I understand the previous owner correctly the fuel pump is no longer in the tank, but remotely mounted under the Tupperware on the right side below the tank and the fuel filter is under the rear seat. All plumbed with Stainless quick disconnects.

I have not found a thread about this. Anybody heard of this and can direct me to a link? I will email him to see if I can get a better explanation. I have not removed any Tupperware yet. Just trying to learn all I can about this bike and its modifications.

Thanks.
I recall at least one person posting about doing this. It is not a common modification; and frankly, I don't see the point.
If you spend some time searching this site, you may turn up some discussion of the modification.

Is the fuel pump or just the fuel filter that has been relocated on your bike?
Here's a thread discussing fuel filter relocation including a post by someone who did it:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/18989-fuel-filter-relocation.html

·
Registered
634 Posts
One of the reasons the pump is mounted in the tank, Is to keep the pump cool.

That said, plenty of pumps are made to work outside the tank... that will work fine.
I just don't see the point.

Monster, If yer bike is setup that way and it works fine.... Ride the wheels off it.

I personally would tear the tupperware off and have a look see... just so I know whats up with the setup.
just in case the poop ever hits the fan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will pull the Tupperware before too long. I feel the time to find out about the modifications to the bike are in the comfort of my garage rather than the side of the road.

Previous owner stated the fuel pump is under the right side of the tank. The filter is under the rear seat or the trunk. Not sure where he was pointing.

I have a Pontiac Fiero I put a 383 Chevy in with a 6 speed and it has aftermarket fuel injection. Both the pump and the filter live out of the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I will pull the Tupperware before too long. I feel the time to find out about the modifications to the bike are in the comfort of my garage rather than the side of the road.

Previous owner stated the fuel pump is under the right side of the tank. The filter is under the rear seat or the trunk. Not sure where he was pointing.

I have a Pontiac Fiero I put a 383 Chevy in with a 6 speed and it has aftermarket fuel injection. Both the pump and the filter live out of the tank.
I would think if it was relocated either under the rear seat or the trunk, it would be under the trunk after a cannisterectomy had been done... :serious:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I would think if it was relocated either under the rear seat or the trunk, it would be under the trunk after a cannisterectomy had been done... :serious:
Maybe Offtopic but I would really hesitate (no - would never want) to circle pressurized gas "around the bike" in a vulnerable hose. The shorter the hoses - the better.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not the 70's. With the proper hoses, routing and good clamps I see no issue. My other bikes are all fuel injected and have hoses directly around and above a hot engine.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If the previous owner relocated the pump under the right side you should be able to see it without a full undress of the tupperware. Just take the right side black tipover cover off and the chrome behind that to look at the the bottom of the tank. That is where the "stock" fuel connections are on the bottom of the tank right side. That is also the access point to change a stock filter. You should see two fuel lines going to a flange that is held in place by a large black plastic nut.

HTH

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Guys. I will find time this weekend to do some exploring and see if the pump is where I believe it is and if the installation looks good, secure, quality parts, etc. I do know he said the fuel filter also had the SS quick disconnects.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a 2k LT..........always use good premium Shell fuel...I pulled the fuel filter out and ran it to the back under the real seat on the left side. I have never had any issues or leaks. Very simple to replace on a trip if I get a bad load of fuel out there in BFE someplace.....If done correctly, you would not expect any issues....I used the BMW hi-pressure fuel injector hose and clamps.....

If you plan to travel loons distances and in remote areas, it is always a relief to know you have a 3 minute fix to bad fuel......

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly. I have been to BFE and he said the filter is under the rear seat or the box. Not exactly sure where and he used SS quick disconnects. That means pop it out, dismantle the clamps and put in a new filter and snap the connectors back together.. I know he did the canisterectomy but he also has an on board air pump under there somewhere with a quick disconnect air line. Sweet. he said he was prepping the bike for a trip to Alaska but he never got to go.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As a follow up I finally have the bike stripped down. I am getting old and hate lying on the garage floor to get under things. I built a lift table using and air over hydraulic ram. Very sturdy and it works great.
I stripped the bike down and removed the rear trunk. I found I must have misunderstood when he said the fuel pump was under the tank on the right side. The pump is in the tank as normal. he did run a fuel line under the rear seat and install a larger fuel filter and used metal quick disconnects. That is fine.
I am rewiring all of the accessories added. There are fuses in too many places. he did add a Centech fuse block for the last item he mounted but he put it under the trunk. If I blew a fuse I would have to remove the trunk and the plastic mounting plate under it.

I am having fun making the bike mine and cleaning up the wiring and getting to know her. I also fixed the cruise control. He has installed a flasher device for the brake light and I removed it and now cruise works.

·
Registered
323 Posts
My older EFI Guzzi California has an external pump and filter (2001). Works fine as long as you use EFI lines and the correct size EFI clamps. Don't ever try to make a clamp that is a little too big work! They go sorta elliptical on you and leak.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I am rewiring all of the accessories added. There are fuses in too many places. he did add a Centech fuse block for the last item he mounted but he put it under the trunk. If I blew a fuse I would have to remove the trunk and the plastic mounting plate under it.
Sounds like quite a project you're undertaking! Here's how/I mounted my Centech.... :bmw:

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That's where I am putting mine also. Makes no sense to have it under the trunk. It will clean up the rat's nest of wiring under the seat.

·
Registered
593 Posts
how about a couple of pics of the fiero? :wink:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how about a couple of pics of the fiero?
At first I wondered how you new about the Fiero. Then I realized I had mentioned it when someone said the pump had to be in the tank.

What does this list say about pictures on non BMW topics? If not a problem I will post a few or I can email to you.:grin:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
At first I wondered how you new about the Fiero. Then I realized I had mentioned it when someone said the pump had to be in the tank.

What does this list say about pictures on non BMW topics? If not a problem I will post a few or I can email to you.:grin:
I'd like to see.

Robert

1 - 20 of 21 Posts