BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a year and a half ago I placed my helmet on our RT and didn't realize it at the time that I had scratched/mared the plastic on the instrument cluster. Ever since I've been really pissed at myself for doing this and I always see the reminder every time I get on the bike.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was cleaning out a crap drawer last night when I can across a tube of Displex that I got a while back to get a scratch off a cell phone, which by the way it didn't take the scratch out. Yesterday I took a picture of the display (see cropped 1st photo) and the scratch is clearly visible. This morning I put a small amount on the scratch and with a microfiber cloth I rubbed it for about 30 seconds and I couldn't believe that it worked (see todays photo, 2nd photo.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case somebody else has scratched their display.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Damn. I wish I knew that a few years back.

I did exactly the same thing as you: turned the handlebars with helmet resting on top. The rental place charged me for the damage. Not much, really (70 Euro, as I recall), but it hurt nevertheless...

So what exactly is that magic substance?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I did the same thing using Semi Chrome chrome polish and a micro fiber cloth. Figured it wouldn't look any worse than the scratch so I gave it a try. The scratch polished right out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rdwalker said:
Damn. I wish I knew that a few years back.

I did exactly the same thing as you: turned the handlebars with helmet resting on top. The rental place charged me for the damage. Not much, really (70 Euro, as I recall), but it hurt nevertheless...

So what exactly is that magic substance?
I'm really not sure what it is but I noticed earlier doing a search that they have a website:

http://www.displex.com/

When the stuff didn't work on my cell phone display I just figured it was something that I wasted my money on and stuck it in the drawer. When I saw the tube yesterday I was almost ready to throw it away then I thought about my scratched windshield. There were times when I would look on Beamerbonyard for a used instrument cluster but just couldn't get myself to spend the money. I'm not sure about using it on a visor. I'm sure I've got a scratch on mine......I'll try it and let you know. I think a lot depends on the type of plastic and how deep the scratch is.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I had a sratch on my Cee Baileys windshield and Novus #2 took it right out, it works well on acrylic but when I tried it on my plastic visor it had little effect. I tried Novus #3 on the visor, its a bit coarser and formulated for deeper scratches, still no joy.
If the instrument cover is acrylic I'm sure you polish a good scratch out with Novus #2.

r

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
itspossible said:
I had a sratch on my Cee Baileys windshield and Novus #2 took it right out, it works well on acrylic but when I tried it on my plastic visor it had little effect. I tried Novus #3 on the visor, its a bit coarser and formulated for deeper scratches, still no joy.
If the instrument cover is acrylic I'm sure you polish a good scratch out with Novus #2.

r

I tried the Displex on some fine but noticeable scratches on my Cee Bailey windshield and it took them right out. I also tried it on some rock dings on the windshield with no effect but I didn't expect it would. I also tried it on some scratches on my helmet visor and although it made them much lighter it didn't get rid of them. The scratches on my helmet visor were on the side and not in my line of sight so it really didn't matter to me if they came out.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The effect of polishing substances differs from the material it is applied to. I think Displex tries to melt the surface to make it shiny again.
If a scratch is very narrow but deep, polishing won't be able to reach the bottom of it.
The example of the TS's display shows a wide but relative shallow scratch, allowing the polishing action to reach all of the scratched surface.
The scratch is then not removed, but the surface is polished, making the scratch invisible from the surrounding material.
To remove a narrow deep scratch (one you can feel with your fingernails) you must first grind the (surrounding) surface until you reach the bottom
of the scratch and then start the polishing, using ever finer materials. This is often takes a lot of time and very much elbow grease.
Therefore, it can be very useful to adapt your blind spot so that it doesn't see the scratch anymore :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.