BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting one of these for some time and planned to purchase one in the next 4 months or so, but after searching your great forum I am now scared off because of the fd failure and clutch and slave cylinder problems. Do these effect all years? Basically, talk me into one. Am I overreacting and the problems are fare and few between, or am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs? Thanks

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
PrimePower said:
I have been wanting one of these for some time and planned to purchase one in the next 4 months or so, but after searching your great forum I am now scared off because of the fd failure and clutch and slave cylinder problems. Do these effect all years? Basically, talk me into one. Am I overreacting and the problems are fare and few between, or am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs? Thanks

Bikes break, even BMW's. I've bought two used ones and I will buy another in a couple years.

If possible find a used on that has extended warranty on it and just ride it. There are lots of people here with well over 100k on their bikes, but they do require regular maintenance and occasional repair (what doesn't though)

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
My 2003 LTE now has over 94K miles on it. It has been in the dealers shop 1 time for a reverse sensor under warranty.....it took them all of 15 minutes to change it. Other than that I have changed the springs out on the shocks for a total of about $300 and done regular maintenance, tire changes, and fluid changes myself.

I have had no clutch problems or leaks, no final drive problems, or any other significant problem. Everything works on the bike to this date.

I do think one key to success with these bikes is to ride them regularly....keep the seals exercised and the battery up.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

Ron

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Go to any bike specific forum and you'll find out all the uglies on that particular marquee. Any vehicle you're going to buy is going to have its share of failures. The LT is a relative small spectrum of the complete motorcycling world. You come here you're going to hear all the horror stories. There are folks on the site that haven't had any of the issues that you spoken of and some that had double ups on a failure. I know some folks on this site that spend $1400 a year just in tires. :D I've had two FD failures, two clutch replacements and a number of tire sets over the last 5 years and 90,000 miles. I've ridden some other bike brands and nothing speaks to me like the LT, especially when momma's on the back.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I am still thinking of it. I don't want a Goldwing, and the only other Tour I would want is the Victory Vision Tour but only the 09+ model so that is about $10k more than a used LT. So, I would like more feedback. I agree about only hearing the negative, I have been on an Avalanche forum for 6 years and love my truck but you do hear rants about problems, almost all of which I have not had. Is there better years for reliability? I know the model differences but not reliability between the years. Seems the <05 may be the way to go, or is that not true? Thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
2005 LT Only in the shop once for the first owner for a fuel door latch replacement. I'm second owner; change fluids, tires, and on the second battery. That's at least as good as my automobiles. Spent $950 for timing belt and water pump on my Tundra; they're bullet proof or so I hear.

Just ride the bike and wear a big smile.

Bruce :) :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
"...am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs?"

Yes.

Its a great bike, in my opinion. Its also maintanence intensive for many.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Silverhair said:
"...am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs?"

Yes.

Its a great bike, in my opinion. Its also maintanence intensive for many.
I disagree on this one. 4 years ago I bought my 2000 Lt with 13,200 miles on it. It's been in the shop 1 time for a dead battery. I do ALL My own repairs. I work on my friends LT's with them. I go through 2 sets of tires every year to year and a half. at $350. per set. In 4 years I figure I've invested $2800.00 in tires , oil ,filters and such. Now farkels are a different matter. ;) My guess would be over $5000.00 but that includes a Bushtec trailer, Rick Mayer seat and so on and so on. :histerica

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
If you are afraid to buy something because it might break, you best stay in bed. At least then all you have to worry about is the ceiling falling in on you.

Life is to short to waste time worring about things you can not control and a certain percentage of everything has issues. Maybe you will be one of the 96% with no Final Drive failures.

Test ride ALL the bikes that tweak your interest, buy the one that makes you smile.

If you can afford it, BMW's are the "Ultimate Driving/Riding Machines".
Lots of cheaper rides on the market, some are very nice but nothing on the market compares to the BMW's ride and safety features.

Buy used if on a budget (02 or newer, model year change in 05) and learn to do your own regular maintance.

If it breaks, fix it and ride on. It is worth every penny.

My 02 has 68K with no major problems. Been from coast to coast twice and would not hesitate to jump on and head for your place immediatly after posting this.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to worried about the model change, but why 02 or newer. I'm a good 6'3 195lbs so I should be able to handle the bike.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
If you want the bike, buy it. If you're going to be scared because something "Might" happen to a device with more than one moving part sell everything you own except your rocks and hammers and move into a cave.

Follow your passion and ignore whining on Internet forums!!!!!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome PrimePower,

I had all the same worries as you concerning the LT. I did a lot of research and will admit that I has some trepidations about buying this model. But the lust of her beauty, performance and passion convinced me to take the jump. Bought an 01' w/ 53,000 from an older gentleman who had 3 other BMW's. They were all meticulously cared for by him and I was very comfortable with his level of maintenance expertise and the overall sale process.
So far all my fears have melted away. This is the finest bike I have ever ridden, hands down. The maintenance gremlins may rear thier ugly heads down the road, but for the time being, I am in MC heaven!

My advice: Buy it, Ride it, Enjoy it!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats good to hear. I believe I will get one still, just timing is important. I am a Marine Engineering Officer in the Army and am moving to Williamsburg VA in June. So I would have to trailer it out there. I think for now unless it is a deal of a lifetime, I will wait till I get out there and maybe in a house, if I can wait.

On the maintenance, I can definitely work on vehicles, just don't want to be doing it all the time nor get stranded. My son got one of those chinese atv's for Christmas and I was working on it all week, well into the mornings just to get it to start for him on Christmas. I have it running strong now, but man what a pain. And it was new.

·
Registered
360 Posts
PrimePower said:
Thats good to hear. I believe I will get one still, just timing is important. I am a Marine Engineering Officer in the Army and am moving to Williamsburg VA in June. So I would have to trailer it out there. I think for now unless it is a deal of a lifetime, I will wait till I get out there and maybe in a house, if I can wait.

On the maintenance, I can definitely work on vehicles, just don't want to be doing it all the time nor get stranded. My son got one of those chinese atv's for Christmas and I was working on it all week, well into the mornings just to get it to start for him on Christmas. I have it running strong now, but man what a pain. And it was new.

Why would you possibly trailer it to VA. That would be a great ride in June.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
If you got a nice buy lined up and it checks out, do it. Find someone in the area to look at it with you if you can.

Yep could break, then again not.

I paid 22,000.00 cash for a new 07 and then really started into the reading on this forum.

I probably suffered the biggest case of buyers remorse you could imagine.

15,000 miles later and nothing broke so far.

It had taken me a bit of time to love the bike, but I cant imagine ever being without it now.

I went out today in 90 degrees and carved a little valley up that has just been repaved. Fishing Creek Valley. Anyway turned the Hyper Pro shocks a bit tight and blasted it. Man she just gets a rhythm in turns and while I am not laying sparks, I am doing a 45 MPH valley road at 60-75, and I am really comfortable doing it on this beastly. I been doing a lot of RPM riding just trying to stay up in the 4 to 6 grand, in a gear that fits the road, with the least amount of braking for control, and just lean it around a bit. What a blast.

Anyway love the bike no question.

Believe me, I did not feel that way during my above mentioned buyers remorse.

Buy what ya want, ride it, and if it breaks, someone here will help you get it right if they possibly can.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would have to trailer it, my truck will pull my camper. So my wife driving my car would have to trailer this. I have the trailer, and plenty of power just tying one of those down for 1200 miles doesn't sit well. If it fell, that would be terrible.

·
Registered
17 Posts
First of all, welcome to Tidewater-you will do just fine down here. The two BMW dealerships close to you are Adventure BMW in Chesapeake, and Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg. Both are very well respected and have good connections for used bikes. There is a decent supply of LTs in Virginia-and northern North Carolina has a fair amount too. I would probably wait and see first if you can get a deal from Adventure on a used LT that they can do an extended warranty on for certified status-look me up when you are ready to ride!

·
Registered
360 Posts
PrimePower said:
I would have to trailer it, my truck will pull my camper. So my wife driving my car would have to trailer this. I have the trailer, and plenty of power just tying one of those down for 1200 miles doesn't sit well. If it fell, that would be terrible.

There is a description on strapping the LT in the Forum. The chock is critical and the front is tethered by the front forks - NOT THE HANDLE BARS. Read the how to. I strapped mine in a small 8' trailer pulled by a Wrangler last month for a 1600 mile trip from MA to FL - no issues.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts