BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I just purchased a CQ Light HID kit for my low beam on my '05. The kit came with a few different diagrams. I searched a bit and couldn't come up with a consensus regarding the necessity of using a relay. So what do you all think--relay or no relay?

Thanks
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,165 Posts
the1mavin said:
Hi All,

I just purchased a CQ Light HID kit for my low beam on my '05. The kit came with a few different diagrams. I searched a bit and couldn't come up with a consensus regarding the necessity of using a relay. So what do you all think--relay or no relay?

Thanks
Tim
Pretty much personal choice. I rode with HID low beam running from the stock bulb connector and no relay for 100,000 miles with no issues at all. I don't see a relay as necessary, but there is certainly nothing wrong with using one if you feel more comfortable with it.

Be aware that you need to protect the relay from weather very well though, as there have been multiple people having HID problems traced back to moisture in the relays. To me, one good reason to NOT use one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I am going to use a relay...but only because I am going to switch my new HID low-beam with an AutoSwitch. If you are not installing a switch, a relay is totally unnecessary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

David/Joe,
Thanks for the input, it is appreciated. It's too nice here this week to "bikeless" so the kit will be waiting for the next snow storm to be installed.

Thanks again,
Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
to relay or not to relay.
I'll have to agree with personal choice as you can easily get by without it.
But then again a relay is under $5 and available at any auto parts store.
I went with the relay.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
As David says, Relay is unnecessary, Just another component to fail and leave you without lights one dark night in the middle of nowhere..

John
 

·
Registered
2002 K1200LTC 2017 R1200GS
Joined
·
64 Posts
yes, but has anyone had any trouble with a damaged wiring harness due to the higher current draw on light startup. I cheap relay might be cheap insurance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,424 Posts
2002LTC said:
yes, but has anyone had any trouble with a damaged wiring harness due to the higher current draw on light startup. I cheap relay might be cheap insurance.
Not that has been posted on this site in the last 4 years.
 

·
Registered
2002 K1200LTC 2017 R1200GS
Joined
·
64 Posts
Thanks Steve. I know this is an old thread. It was just that someone told me that the wiring on the LT was not designed to handle the extra current load that the ballast draws when the HID lamp is fired. The recommendation was to install a relay and wire it to the battery.

I was not able to find any info on damaged wiring, so I thought I would ask just in case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,406 Posts
Being Relays seldom fail either .... I choose to go RELAY, Not a problem what so ever in years now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,208 Posts
2002LTC said:
I was not able to find any info on damaged wiring, so I thought I would ask just in case.
So........just because it hasn't happened or hasn't been reported, means it never will.........right?
If you're worried about it, five bucks is cheap peace of mind.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,544 Posts
motorhead said:
Being Relays seldom fail either .... I choose to go RELAY, Not a problem what so ever in years now.
I've had 2 relay failures with my HID upgrade. The HID itself still works fine after 7 years and well over 120K miles. :)
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top