BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still considering getting a trailer for use behind my LT. What rae your views whether the trailer needs a swivel hitch or not? My concern is - what happens if the ole gal tips over and you have a trailer without a swivel tongue?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Pulled a small trailer on a conventional ball hitch for near 25K miles never having an issue.
If you drop the big girl on a regular basis may be a good idea on the swivel, otherwise frankly would not sweat it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
The hitch/tongue combination of the Bushtec is perfect IMNSHO. Probly have between 40K and 50K on Bushtecs. Especially with the LT, have to check the mirrors to be sure its still there. My original B has a new girlfriend - a GW.

If not Bushtec, you want to be sure the coupler swivels - SwivelHitch is one, there are others. Not only if the bike goes down, what if the trailer flips?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Pulling the ghetto trailer with just a ball hitch for quite a few miles.........I don't know it's back there..............check ride was in the rain, (heavy), had it to 105mph.............with about 150 lbs of critter food tied down inside..............didn't know it was there.............$0.02..... :cool:

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Last year I bought a Harbor Freight trailer for my LT.

After doing a little reading I realized that the discussion about swivels goes on and on like oil threads.

I have dropped the LT on occasion. :)

I considered the possible damage to the bike's subframe if I dropped it with the trailer attached. I don't know what the consequences would be.

I decided to "buy the insurance" and I installed a swivel. It had been suggested that extending the length of the tow bar (tongue) would improve trailer tracking so I killed two birds with one stone and installed a swivel between the tow bar and hitch assembly. It made the tow bar a little longer and I have the advantages of a swivel (what ever they are).

Here's a link to the hitch I have, scroll down for the swivel:
http://www.dmcsidecars.com/hitch-pages/bmwk1200lt_hitch.htm

·
Registered
85 Posts
i do find that with out a swivel coupler/swivel ball it is hard to unhook the trailer when the bike is in the side stand.. have not tiped when trailer was on so don't have any advice on that. how ever, i bought my trailer 2nd hand and the tonque is twisted a little so i;m guessing that the bike fell over w'the trailer hitched.
john

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
swivel hitch in action click

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
drjohn55 said:
......i do find that with out a swivel coupler/swivel ball it is hard to unhook the trailer when the bike is in the side stand....
I noticed that too before I installed the swivel. It made me realize that the bike doesn't have to lean too far before the ball/hitch coupling reachs a point of interference.
That observation was part of what made me decide to install a swivel.

I think a swivel makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I guess everybody that starts towing a trailer goes through the same thought process,
I started out with a ball hitch and converted to a swivel,
the ball works but you always wonder "what if"
once you get the swivel you don't think about it anymore,
so in my opinion, it's worth it just for the "piece of mind"

Another thing to think about is make sure your safety chain will break,
you don't want to be around that thing behind you when you go down.

Check out the motorcycle trailer towing forum,

and just for thought,
here's a picture of what happens to a swivel hitch when you crash (hit an Elk)
Kinda defeats the theory!

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
Have pulled trailers behind bikes for about 200k miles total. Started out with no swivel hitches and once I switched over to the swivel hitchs/couplers am much happier and I feel much safer. The biggest selling point for me on the swivel hitch is pulling a trailer in the twisties. When I pulled a trailer without a swivel hitch, the trailer would actually push and stand me up in the corners which severly changed the handling. The swivel hitch in this instance makes a huge difference. I've also seen twisted couplers from dropped bikes and I have experienced hard to disconnect trailers on the side stand.

I'm pulling a Bushtec at the present time, have pulled a Hannigan, Time Out Dart, Time Out Camper, Kwik Camp and a couple of low budget trailers. Personally I don't want to pull a trailer without the swivel, but that's just me.

·
Premium Member
7,801 Posts
A swivel hitch just seems to make sense. Maximum flexibility, for both vehicles.

Plus, it lets you become a Droppers Anonymous member with Honorable Mention. Not only can you drop the bike, you can drop the trailer all by itself. I once dropped my Unigo after connecting it incorrectly to the K1200LT, on an incline; the trailer fell over on its side, but because of the u-joint hitch the bike stayed on the center stand. :eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts