BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here I am, the new owner of a 2004LT without manuals. I'm coming off of a Kawasaki ZRX1200 and so far I'm quite happy with the change but it sure is a different world. I'm waiting for the weather to turn a little warmer here in Ontario so I can put some real miles on, but I already know that this bike will extend my riding season a great deal.

I have sorted most everything out regarding the radio/CD but receive a display of REG OFF when I power on the unit. Can someone tell me what this means? Also TP (traffic Program) what the deuce is this?

·
Registered
415 Posts
TP is for some stations that transmit traffic news.

Ron

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmm, that's interesting. Those are part of the RDS (Radio Data System) functionality of the FM radio. RDS has been common in Europe for over 15 years now, but I didn't think it was used in North America. FM stations encode extra information such as program name and type into the broadcast signal. That means that you can tune the stations by name and if a station is transmitting on several frequencies, the radio will automatically retune into the strongest signal as you drive around the country.

Having TP selected will automatically retune the radio into a station that's broadcasting traffic information for the duration of the report - which almost invariably seems to result in you being told of a hold up on the road you're on a minute or two after you've come to a stop at the back of the jam! :)

REG stands for regional, and has something to do with a single station name transmitting different programs on different frequencies. I've never used that or seen it in action.

As an aside, I don't like the way the radio works at all. I think it stores the preset by frequency not name, and therefore if you retune to preset 1, say, but outside the range of that particular frequency, instead of searching around for another frequency which matches the stored name, it just sits there dumbly producing static. (In my experience, most RDS radios would attempt to find the station for you). Plus, if you then try to tune it in manually (by holding down the tune up or down buttons on the handlebar remote for more than a couple of seconds), it starts cycling through all the RDS stations it is currently receiving, but apparently in some random order - definitely not frequency order, nor alphabetical name order as far as I can tell. It seems illogical to me and makes me wonder how much product testing they actually did out on the road...

Anyway, there's more info than you wanted on the subject of RDS.

Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts