BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Member (ret.)
10,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 6"x 3" long piece of reflective tape that was collecting dust. I cut it into six equal parts and added them to the back of the LT.
Three on the top lid's bottom edge, one each on the saddlebag lids and one at the very bottom edge of the mudflap. I'll be adding one each to the top lid sides.

First picture is without camera flash

Second picture is with camera flash

Third is another one with the camera flash

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Looks nice..been wondering how to increase my visiblility from the rear..seems like an economical fix to me..

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I went to one of my local sign maker shops. He had some of the 3m reflective, self adhesive sheets. Type he would feed into a vinyl cutter to make letters an stuff for signs. Bought about a yards worth for 'bout the price of a good 6 pack from him.

Pulled the rear mud flap/plat holder off the LT, removed the plate frame and plate - stuck the sheet on there and then trimmed the edges. Left LOTS extra for other projects.

Reflective sheet is black durring normal lighting - reflects a kind of 'bronze' gold. Daylight, you can't hardly even see it's there - but hit it with head lights - whamo.

·
Registered
711 Posts
3M Material

The 3M stuff I use is 680 Scotchlite (replaces the 580 stuff). It comes in various colors, but I supply black with the kits. When you put it on the license plate holder, and other black spots on the bike, you can't see it. But when the headlights hit, it glows bright white, as in Raffy's pics. Great stuff.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Reflective Tape

A few years ago I came across some pre-cut reflective tape at WallMrt. For a couple of bucks I got several round and rectangualar pieces. They had red and silver as I recall, the red ones are pretty unobtrusive during the day on my Canyon Red, but really light up under headlights from behind. I also put some on the back of our helmets.
A cheap way to improve visibility from the rear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
More Retro-reflective

I have used the 1/4" wide silver reflective tape to line the circumference of the wheel rims, one 'circle' each side, and WOW that made a difference when viewed from the side (like when you pull up to an intersection or pass an intersecting street). As with the black-on-black though, you couldn't really tell it was there during the daytime. I got mine from Whitehorse Press.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Tate, seems like you're mostly there. The main part of my kit is the license plate holder, which you did. I also do the trunk latch, which adds a nice touch, plus a couple small spots. It's pretty easy to do all this--the hard part is finding the material. That's why I made the kits available. I buy 10 yard rolls, so it makes the kits reasonable in cost.

·
Registered
279 Posts
A fellow I met at a rally last year had his black (the fastest color!) LT done up with red and blue reflective pin stripes. I believe it was the same 3M type tape cut down to 1/8". Really made his bike stand out in a crowd. :cool:

The stuff also works well to add a bit of reflector action to helmets.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Mmm, tail trunk latch - maybe we aughta cross this thread up with the fella that's make'n some new latch handles. He was look'n for finish ideas recently.

Wonder if 3m makes a reflective powder coat....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts