BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
I am running the Banned oil, but I use 80/90 in the FD and 75/90 in the tranny.

I was running 75/90 in both but read an article in BMWON I think on using multi viscosity oil in the FD. I think it calls for a strait weight 80 or 90.

I think it would have been alright but since we are dealing with a mystery weak link, I wanted to go with what was recommended as close as possible.

Don't think it matters a hill of beans though.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Redline 75w-140. Over 12K now since I started using it; comes out clean as a whistle at 6K, with just a tiny bit of fuzz on the magnet.

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
Yes 75-140 for tranny is what I meant to write.

Like I said was using it in both, but went 80-90w in FD

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just curious. Why do you want to stop using the ShockProof Heavy in the FD?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same question as there are a couple of different "weights" of Shockproof. So I called Redline. I talked to one of their folks who knew of the LT's FD issue. He recommended "Heavy" so that's what I've been running. Sixty-five thousand on the clock so far and no FD issues.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pegasus said:
I had the same question as there are a couple of different "weights" of Shockproof. So I called Redline. I talked to one of their folks who knew of the LT's FD issue. He recommended "Heavy" so that's what I've been running. Sixty-five thousand on the clock so far and no FD issues.

Same here. After my FD was replaced by BMW out of warrantee 35000 miles ago, the service manager told me to use the Heavy and that's all that's been in there since. I change it at every oil change and the magnet is always clean. The stuff works. That is all.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Sofitel505 said:
Same here. After my FD was replaced by BMW out of warrantee 35000 miles ago, the service manager told me to use the Heavy and that's all that's been in there since. I change it at every oil change and the magnet is always clean. The stuff works. That is all.
I had the same question today at the service counter. I was going with 75w/140, but that wasn't an option. I ordered (no, not in stock. Seems to be hard to find in my area) heavy. Man, am I relieved.
But then it is what I've been reading here. Redline Heavy Shockproof.

Jer

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks folks, pleased with it muyself and will be sticking with it.

Anyone use it in the tranny?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
c00k1e said:
Thanks folks, pleased with it muyself and will be sticking with it.

Anyone use it in the tranny?
Yep, that's my intent, to get smoother shifting. And also in the FD.

Jer

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yup, transmission too. Same stuff. I'm a happy camper so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been using the Shockproof heavy in both the FD and transmission for about the last 15K miles.(~40K on the bike) Just a little of the normal black fuzz on the drain plugs when changing oil.

·
Premium Member
3,150 Posts
Bit confused myself.

80-90W FD
75-140 Transmission

These are what I use, so what is the RedLine weights?

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
LAF said:
Bit confused myself.

80-90W FD
75-140 Transmission

These are what I use, so what is the RedLine weights?
From what I saw in the catalog at the auto parts store, the gear oil dosen't come in weights other than "light, medium?, or heavy". I ordered the heavy and will get it this Tuesday.
See the thread below that further mentions users applications.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the BMW motorcycle transmissions and final drives we recommend the ShockProof Heavy, it is also packaged and sold in some cycle shops as the V-Twin Transmission Oil.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all.
Dave, can you recommend a UK dealer that hold your products? The last one I used has stopped trading.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts