BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Redline gear oil, K-Whine?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  norton 
#1 ·
I read somewhere on this forum that you can use Redline gear oil and it will help, or cure the K-Whine issue.
Is this true and what oil do you use. They offer 3, Heavy, Light and Superlight in the "Shock Proof" line.
Also, is this oil good for the FD, what one?

#2 ·
Oh no.... Another OIL thread! ;)

I used Red Line in my LT, and really noticed no differences in the K whine. You can hear the sound of a K12, and recognize it from a distance - that's a badge of honor!

I used 80w gear oil in the FD, and 20w-50 in the engine. Both synthetic.

FYI, search on oils in the forum, and you'll find DAYS worth of reading.

#3 ·
Well, I am starting to get used to it and not even notice it anymore, but ran across the thread and thought it might be worth it as I need to change the oil anyway and if this helps, I am OK spending a little more to stop the noise.
I think it was the Shock proof heavy, but wanted to verify.

#5 ·
Not sure if has reduced "K-whine", but Redline Shockproof Heavy has helped my tranny shift a lot smoother.

#6 ·
BTW - I used the Shock Proof...

#7 ·
I usually had radio, CD's or XM radio playing in my helmet, so rarely heard the K-Whine. When I did hear it, it reminded me of hearing P-51 Mustangs going over my home on approach to Van Nuys airport when I lived in the San Fernando Valley area. Loved hearing them, so the K-Whine on the LT did not bother me. Just thought: "I have the P-51 of motorcycles". :D

#9 ·
Don't want to incite a riot here,.... but the K whine lives inside the engine from my experience, nothing to do with gearbox of FD. Try it, you can play a tune in any gear, just need to fine the spot in the engine rpm's to produce it. It appears to be load related, I always thought it was from the engine output shaft to crankshaft gear mesh. The K100's were the best for it, it was their signature. Flame retardent at the ready.

#10 ·
I would like to see a controlled experiment using trained musical ears and a spectrum analyzer as I seriously doubt that changing oil brands will significant affect gear whine. I know that Amsoil and others claim this, but my engineering mine needs proof. The placebo effect is powerful and if people believe that something will help, it often does ... to them at least.

Best solution is turn up the radio as was already suggested. :)

#11 ·
The whine I refer to is quite high pitched and (to me anyway) it is a pleasant sound, unlike the "not meant to be there" gear whine from an incorrectly set-up hypoid or spiral bevel drive. Yep, agreed, gear mesh problems need to be corrected, not masked by oil additives or the like.

#13 ·
Next time you are watching BMW sedans in road racing listen to the tranny when they have a BMW in-the-car camera on, they have a nice metallic whine to them like the K's, and I agree with Dennis the K100 was the loudest

#14 ·
I don't know about the whine, but I'm gonna try some in the granny to see if it helps with the bag of rocks.....

#16 ·
As I've stated previously, the whine seems to be load related. Recently I noticed that with the missus on the back the whine was there,.... when she got off the bike the whine was gone,................ funny that;)

#17 ·
If you use redline on your wife, does that lessen the whine? :histerica

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.