BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some Guidence please. On a ride yesterday noticed a redish fluid leak on the front right side also blew up by the stingray all on the right side. Not sure what Im dealing with as I cant find souce of leak. Can someone give me an idea of what I'm dealing with.

Daniel Magee
2005 LT

·
Registered
659 Posts
I'm not aware of any red fluids...unless you're using some of the more "exotic" fluids somewhere. Is it oil-like? Are you finding it under the bike when parked? My hope is you got hit by somebody else's fluids, from a car/truck ahead or something along the road splashed up. Wish I could help more, but you've come to the right place to ask.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reid said:
I'm not aware of any red fluids...unless you're using some of the more "exotic" fluids somewhere. Is it oil-like? Are you finding it under the bike when parked? My hope is you got hit by somebody else's fluids, from a car/truck ahead or something along the road splashed up. Wish I could help more, but you've come to the right place to ask.
No its my leak thinking it might be from the fork thats were it runs down. It still has all the OEM fluids as far as I know all work has been done by BMW dealer. Im thinking hydralic fluid if that is what they use in the front forks. I dont see much history of blown fork seals though.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a fork seal leak (at 45K) some fluid after a quick slow down demo for a pillion rider. I just wiped down the fork tube area around the piston and cylinder and tie wrapped a thick paper shop towel around the fork tube just below the top adjacent to the seal. Some owners change out the seals but on my 2000 (68K) I just renew the paper towels twice a year. I'll call it an occasional weep, not really leaking.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Sounds to me like it could be transmission fluid.. Some of the synthetic stuff is red. I would bring it into my nearest dealer to check it out. I am not going to speculate as to what it is.

·
Registered
712 Posts
wilbar00c said:
Some owners change out the seals but on my 2000 (68K) I just renew the paper towels twice a year. I'll call it an occasional weep, not really leaking.
I must be one of those other owners as I see a weeping/leaking seal as a safety hazard. It's not difficult to replace a seal either. Just time consuming to do it right. Or expensive if you have the dealer do it. But I just can't imagine the thought of putting my life (or a family member) at risk because of an improperly maintained mechanical equipment or vehicle.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys

I will be taking it in. I have noplace to work on the bike. Im a condo dweller they dont like underground mechanics. I will try and take off the farings to cut cost.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts