BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
As long as the oil meets or exceeds the specs for your motorcycle, as written in your manual, you'll be fine.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I think Supersyn is a Mobil1 product name. Are you talking about that product or the BMW synthetic gear lube?

·
Banned
588 Posts
I see BMW does list a synthetic gear lube as Super Synthetic. This is the only info I can find on it. "Recommended for all BMW motorcycles after 1970.

High performance synthetic provides high load carrying characteristics, minimum foaming, and exceptional resistance to thermal degradation.

Exclusive chemistry reduces internal friction and enhances power output under extreme service conditions."

Plus = stated above
Minus = does not state it is recommended or warranted for extended service interval. Likely formulated by the lowest bidder to make minimal specs. Can't find out basic info like base oils (petroleum synthetic or chemical synthetic), typical properties, MSDS. They don't compare against anyone.

Red Line 75W90 synthetic gear lube.

Plus = Lots of info at http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp . This is a chemical synthetic (polyol ester base). "Allows extended drains in non-warranty vehicles. Redline is well known for making quality synthetic lubricants, leaning more toward racing applications and been in business since 1979. Compares against non-named competitors.

I offer a 3rd choice. Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear 75W90 Extreme Pressure. Lots of data at www.amsoil.com. This is a chemical synthetic (PolyAlphaOlefin). Amsoil specializes in the longest warranted extended drain intervals in and out of factory warranty since 1972. They compare their products against named competitors. They will release a "White Paper" soon, likely comparing against Red Line, BMW and many more in standard ASTM gear lube tests performed by an independent non-profit lubricant research institute. I had tried a BMW synthetic lube in my 137,000 mile K1200LT at the first change interval from the BMW factory oil. Then switched to Amsoil and noticed improved shifting. Kept it in with 24,000-36,000 mile change intervals in the transmission and final drive. No failure with the final drive, but did break a tooth in the transmission at 136,000 miles (covered by extended warranty. It looked like a manufacturing flaw). Transmission showed no wear and was spotless.

Based on the above information, my preference would be Amsoil first, Redline 2nd, BMW 3rd. If anyone has more information, please share.

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
All I can add is reading the BMW branded bottles I could not tell what they were. The are labeled made by Spectro (sp).

On my 600 I used 75-90 Amsoil. The 600 does NOT call for trany and FD drain. I chose to have it done. If any two places are going to make shavings it is those two. On a new bike I would not have it any other way.

While I run Amsoil as my preferred synthetic I would guess that Redline would be a good gear synthetic oil also.

Still a lot of debate about synthetic and dino, and what REAL synthetic oil is. I don't know for sure, but for the 8 bucks a quart for Amsoil, probably is close to what BMW charges for their Spectro.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Amsoil White paper on Gear Lubes

The white paper that Tim referred to has been issued. Some very interesting results. Most lubes failed one or more approved industry tests. The 3 petroleum-based lubes fared better than some of the synthetics.

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2457.pdf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts