BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you know I had to replace the rear drive on my 2005 LT with 41,281 miles. I had caught it before it had shown any problem by having the oil analysis. I had been using Mobil 1 75W/120 Synthetic gear oil changing it about every 3,000 miles. After replacing the rear drive I was using BMW synthetic 75W/120. I changed it at 600 miles and again at 2,000 miles. Both times it looked pretty dark but no metal on the drain plug. I then took a 2,700 mile trip and when I got home I drained it and sent it in to be analysis. Again it was pretty dark. I got the test back and it said iron elevated other readings appear to be normal. Resample in 2,000 miles to monitor. This was the wear metals. The oil condition/particle count was all 0, which is good. They told me there was more wear than they felt normal, which shows oil is not doing a good job. They suggested Red Line heavy shockproof gear oil. I see where there are several on the website that are using this. I had a hard time finding it in the Omaha area but finely did. I had about 1,000 miles on the oil in the rear drive today when I drained it. This was the BMW 75W/120 oil and it came out just like new oil this time. Nothing on the drain plug so I feel the rear drive is cleaned out. I filled it with the Red Line heavy gear oil. It is just like heavy red paint. Since I had it I also changed the transmission using the Red Line oil. I will run it for at least 2,000 miles then send it in and have it analysis. I would like to hear comments from people on here that are using the Red Line oil. When I get it analysis I will post the results. I feel having the rear drive oil analysis is the best way to caught it before breaking down on the road.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Red Line

Where in Omaha did you find the Red Line Lube?

Has anyone ever had a final drive failure while using the Red Line lube in the final drive??

·
Registered
161 Posts
105000 miles on Red Line Heavy duty shockproof and it is still pretty and pink when I change it every 24000 miles.
Use it in the tranny too.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Red Line Oil

Moonshine said:
Where in Omaha did you find the Red Line Lube?

Has anyone ever had a final drive failure while using the Red Line lube in the final drive??
Total Performance Parts, 8427 Madison Street, Omaha, NE 68127, Phone 402-731-5000 carries Red Line Oil.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
And for those in the UK

In the UK you can get it from
http://www.cp-components.co.uk/

£17.50 inc. postage

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've used the Heavy in my drive since it was warrantee replaced 26K miles ago. No problems and no indication of wear when changed (magnet clean). Never had it analyzed, but so far so good. Never tried the heavy in the gearbox though. The Amsoil 75W/90 seems to be working fine there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Red Line Oil

www.myoilshop.com

Full line of Red Line Oil in stock, same day shippment

Use code mos10 for additional 10% discount

Full disclosure:

I own Racer Parts Wholesale which recently bought myoilshop.com. Racer Parts Wholesale operates out of a 10,000 sq ft warehouse in Indianapolis.

We ship Red Line Oil --everyday-- all over the country. We now stock the new Red Line Oil motorcycle products.

Tom Volk

·
Registered
826 Posts
I've used it in the tranny and final drive for 15k. Goes in like strawberry milkshake and comes out like strawberry milk shake. I think it must be working!! :thumb:

·
Registered
269 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I use shockproof heavy in trans and differential.......................

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Just changed mine to the heavy stuff in both the trans and final drive. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Mobil 1 synthetic just lost a customer.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
VincesBMW said:
Help me out please the BMW gear oil is 85/90. What makes Red line so much better

You can go to Relineoil.com and read their documentation...quite extensive, but valuable. I just put it in both my tranny and final drive and WOW..smoooooth. Really noticeable. Not too expensive either -- $8.80 a quart!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Well, this thread is about five years old as I write this; I found it in the 'similar threads' at the bottom of a current thread. Bumping it because it has interesting information and some updated wisdom on Red Line Heavy Shockproof could be useful to have in the same thread.

Personally, I have used Red Line Heavy Shockproof in my gearbox and FD on all four of my LTs. I cannot say how much smoother it is, as some other posters have, because that is all I can remember using.

·
Registered
498 Posts
deputy5211 said:
Well, this thread is about five years old as I write this; I found it in the 'similar threads' at the bottom of a current thread. Bumping it because it has interesting information and some updated wisdom on Red Line Heavy Shockproof could be useful to have in the same thread.

Personally, I have used Red Line Heavy Shockproof in my gearbox and FD on all four of my LTs. I cannot say how much smoother it is, as some other posters have, because that is all I can remember using.
Unbelievable NOTICEABLE difference. I will never go back....

·
Cat Herder
1,486 Posts
After speaking to a Redline rep at a convention here in LV a few years back, I asked him what they recommend for the BMW rear end and transmission. They recommended
the Lightweight Shockproof gear oil. There is never a really heavy load on the bike as we ride... not compared to a racing bike or car.

Red_Line_Shockproof_Gear_Oil

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Jerrym said:
As most of you know I had to replace the rear drive on my 2005 LT with 41,281 miles. I had caught it before it had shown any problem by having the oil analysis. I had been using Mobil 1 75W/120 Synthetic gear oil changing it about every 3,000 miles. After replacing the rear drive I was using BMW synthetic 75W/120. I changed it at 600 miles and again at 2,000 miles. Both times it looked pretty dark but no metal on the drain plug. I then took a 2,700 mile trip and when I got home I drained it and sent it in to be analysis. Again it was pretty dark. I got the test back and it said iron elevated other readings appear to be normal. Resample in 2,000 miles to monitor. This was the wear metals. The oil condition/particle count was all 0, which is good. They told me there was more wear than they felt normal, which shows oil is not doing a good job. They suggested Red Line heavy shockproof gear oil. I see where there are several on the website that are using this. I had a hard time finding it in the Omaha area but finely did. I had about 1,000 miles on the oil in the rear drive today when I drained it. This was the BMW 75W/120 oil and it came out just like new oil this time. Nothing on the drain plug so I feel the rear drive is cleaned out. I filled it with the Red Line heavy gear oil. It is just like heavy red paint. Since I had it I also changed the transmission using the Red Line oil. I will run it for at least 2,000 miles then send it in and have it analysis. I would like to hear comments from people on here that are using the Red Line oil. When I get it analysis I will post the results. I feel having the rear drive oil analysis is the best way to caught it before breaking down on the road.
Who rebuilt your final drive? It is very unlkely that any issue you are seeing is due to the oil "not doing a good job." If the FD was assembled correctly, any oil meeting specs will do a fine job. If the FD was not assembled correctly, then no magic potion is going to save it. It is nice that people think a magic oil will fix an incorrectly assembled FD, but just aint so.

And frequent oil changes are like looking for a magic potion oil. A properly assembled FD will easily go 12K miles on oil and probably a lot farther than that. An improperly assembled FD won't be saved by 3K mile oil changes.

The frequent changes MAY help you detect the impending failure sooner, but even that appears to be a crap shoot based on the experience of Charlie and others here. Many (most?) FDs fail with virtually no warning.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Back when I had my 03 the dealer used to use Redline but now they have gone back to the BMW rear drive oil. Has there been in negative feedback that would make them want to do that?

I had just under 80K on the 03 when I sold it and never had any rear drive problems.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts