BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple days ago I was 20 minutes into a ride when my red exclamation light came on. It came on steady and didn't blink. There were no other lights lit up. When I stopped the bike I had noticed the rear break light switch was stuck with the servo whining away. I adjusted the peddle at the toe end and that seemed to free up the switch. Now the computer showed my fuel at empty with 3 gallons still in the tank. I rode it to a gas station and filled it up. The gage showed me a full tank with a 300 mile range. As I rode the milage kept jumping from 324 miles to 294. I put 80 miles on the tank and the gage still shows full. Can the O.B.C be reset or is this a problem that need to be addressed by my local wrench? As far as the rear break goes, Its working fine. As a side note: I had adjusted the rear peddle adjuster up as my foot resting on the foot-peg was setting off the servo. Its now back to its original position.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I will take a stab at this. The mileage you are seeing is changing because the computer uses the current mpg with the amount of fuel in the tank to compute. Depending on how aggressive you are riding changes the mpg, and just a couple of mpg will show that much change in your distance.

As far as the obc, a gs911 will reset the error code, but if everything is working now, I would wait for your next service unless you have access to a gs911.

-Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HeliMark said:
I will take a stab at this. The mileage you are seeing is changing because the computer uses the current mpg with the amount of fuel in the tank to compute. Depending on how aggressive you are riding changes the mpg, and just a couple of mpg will show that much change in your distance.

As far as the obc, a gs911 will reset the error code, but if everything is working now, I would wait for your next service unless you have access to a gs911.

-Mark
The fuel gage will drop halfway and go back up to full while riding. I've only put 80 miles on the bike so far and the gage seems to be going nuts. I use the trip meter and fill up every 200 miles and don't go by the gage anyways. Is the bike still safe to operate with this computer problem or could this be a precursor to something sinister?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,697 Posts
Hard to say from a distance but VERY LIKELY nothing more than a computer re-set...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
That's how my fuel gauge behaved and had to be replaced. Now a year later the new one is acting like that again and will be replaced again. BMW dealers seem to replace them routinely because it is such a well known problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ozonewanderer said:
That's how my fuel gauge behaved and had to be replaced. Now a year later the new one is acting like that again and will be replaced again. BMW dealers seem to replace them routinely because it is such a well known problem.
Did that cost big bucks or did you have that done under warranty? I don't think I've ever had a bike that had a working fuel gauge. I normally use my trip meter. My old Lt had gauge issues as well as my old Goldwing. Guess I'll have my local wrench look at it. Everything else seems to work fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
As mentioned above, including the year of the RT you're referring to will help us in diagnosing your malady.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
287 Posts
AngryFlagman said:
Did that cost big bucks or did you have that done under warranty? I don't think I've ever had a bike that had a working fuel gauge. I normally use my trip meter. My old Lt had gauge issues as well as my old Goldwing. Guess I'll have my local wrench look at it. Everything else seems to work fine.
I am still under warranty so the fuel strip was covered and I expect the next one will be as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do after 2013...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Casey said:
As mentioned above, including the year of the RT you're referring to will help us in diagnosing your malady.
Sorry, I got tied up with a couple paving projects and home computer issues. My bike is a 2005 Bmw R1200Rt. I've had a chance to ride it back and forth to work a few times. I adjusted the rear break peddle. That seems to have taken care of the rear switch sticking problem....some what. It still activates when a stiff breeze blows on the rear peddle. I keep my toe tucked under it to keep it up. As for the computer, It still shows incorrect fuel range. The level indicator seems to work correctly though. I never trusted a fuel gage on any bike and use the trip meter most of the time. It almost seems as the computer is trying to correct itself. I'm going to have it checked when I take it in for service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ozonewanderer said:
I am still under warranty so the fuel strip was covered and I expect the next one will be as well.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do after 2013...?
I know this is a little off topic but I heard about a water cooled R motor possibly for 2013.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top