BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This time las year I was laying in bed recovering after being T-Boned by a horned rat on 12-18-04. My two week old 05' LT was totaled and I felt like shit. A month later I'm up and around, broken bones healing fast, head injury healing slowww. The B.S. with the insurance company is over and I order a new 05' with the same everything as the first one.
During my down time it was this forum that kept my riding spirit alive. While not a frequent poster, I am a regular lurker and everyone on this site helped to speed my recovery. I was back in the saddle in Feb and have been riding all year and feeling fine.
To end the year I rode from my home in Port Orange FL to the Stagecoach 500 Rally in Stockton Al on 12-30-05. After having lunch at the Stagecoach Cafe' I rode to Lafayette LA and then home to FL. Documented a BBG in 22 hrs. and felt great. So what is it? A full recovery? Or as my wife and some of my friends are saying, I still have a few loose screws.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Great to see you up and back in the saddle mate!
Don't worry about what your friends say...they obviously don't own a LT! :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
charlieg said:
------ So what is it? A full recovery? Or as my wife and some of my friends are saying, I still have a few loose screws.
Full recovery! I got back on an LT after two bad accidents, would love to again after the third. If the wife ever lets me, I will have another one.

The first two were full recovery, guess this third time is more loose screws, or at least that is what everyone tells me. :D

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I'ld say you have a few loose screws Chuck! ;)

Seriously, I am glad to hear you have recovered and been able to get back in the saddle. It's hard to explain to others what riding does for the soul.

Take care and keep the wheels turning!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
What a way of life. I am like you as well. My wife and I played tag with an 18-wheeler on a HD ultra classic @ 70mph. He won. nine months in a wheelchair and hospital bed. Long story short, three years later I picked up a VW Trike. Two years later (just over two weeks ago) I picked up a 2002 K1200LTC. Still walk with a limp but I walk.
Do people think I am crazy? You bet. Do the other people that ride (all brands) think I am crazy? Not at all. Most say it's about time.

Good luck and many happy miles to you. :D

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am glad you are back in the saddle again! If having some loose screws was a bad thing then we would all be in trouble! Have fun!

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
charlieg said:
This time las year I was laying in bed recovering after being T-Boned by a horned rat on 12-18-04. My two week old 05' LT was totaled and I felt like shit. A month later I'm up and around, broken bones healing fast, head injury healing slowww. The B.S. with the insurance company is over and I order a new 05' with the same everything as the first one.
During my down time it was this forum that kept my riding spirit alive. While not a frequent poster, I am a regular lurker and everyone on this site helped to speed my recovery. I was back in the saddle in Feb and have been riding all year and feeling fine.
To end the year I rode from my home in Port Orange FL to the Stagecoach 500 Rally in Stockton Al on 12-30-05. After having lunch at the Stagecoach Cafe' I rode to Lafayette LA and then home to FL. Documented a BBG in 22 hrs. and felt great. So what is it? A full recovery? Or as my wife and some of my friends are saying, I still have a few loose screws.

Ahh I wanted to go to the Stagecoach Cafe, but was feeling under the weather pretty badly. dang flue bug or some crap :(

I'd say a full recovering is what you have and now hooked!

Like you I got gratification off a mailing list (actually a newsgroup RMH) after my accident which put me down for almost three years, I've met many a fine man women and child from that list and have created some life long true friendships as well from that list. None knew me on that list when I joined it after my accident, I lurked for a long while until I could type again, my first ride out of town was to meet those from that list.

Sounds to me like you have graduated to becoming
a "real" Biker, one that has the love of motorcycling and won't give it up. May your roads be safe your journey's be fulfilling and the friends you make from them be life long.

hope to meet you on the road sometime

Tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
nplenzick said:
Geez...........if you guys have screws missing then I'm missing a few bolts!
I was lucky! they added some bolts and rods!

<g>

Tom

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ibbones said:
What a way of life. I am like you as well. My wife and I played tag with an 18-wheeler on a HD ultra classic @ 70mph. He won. nine months in a wheelchair and hospital bed. Long story short, three years later I picked up a VW Trike. Two years later (just over two weeks ago) I picked up a 2002 K1200LTC. Still walk with a limp but I walk.
Do people think I am crazy? You bet. Do the other people that ride (all brands) think I am crazy? Not at all. Most say it's about time.

Good luck and many happy miles to you. :D
Sounds like afew of us hace had a bad one and still ride

Congrats, it sucks deing down for so long and in a wheel chair,
Yes some folks think we are nuts, some folks know we are nuts, then again some folks "get it".

Tom

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
it sucks deing down for so long and in a wheel chair
I did get pretty good at "popping wheelies" in the chair. I would sit outside in the driveway just on the back two wheelies for long periods of time and just watch the folks drive down our street. I guess the two wheelies are in the blood. :D

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ibbones said:
I did get pretty good at "popping wheelies" in the chair. I would sit outside in the driveway just on the back two wheelies for long periods of time and just watch the folks drive down our street. I guess the two wheelies are in the blood. :D

I got real good at going backwards, untill my arms were able to be used, the problem with going backwards and only being able to control the "chair" with one broken foot was stopping, a friend made a nice ramp all to correct handi cap specs for me, well going down hill backwards with one foot that was screwed up and the other not working at all, was less than interesting. Funny but less than interesting I ended up getting stuck at the bottom right off the edge of the drive and sat and waited till someone came home <g>.

another time (still in the Rehab center) the So brought up the dogs to visit, well dummy me put the leash over my casted up arm, (the dog was very well trained, I was not worried) well he was a little excited to see me and was a little rowdy, so not thinking I told him to heel, well he was trained to heel to the left of me NOW!.
He did - wraped the leash around the side of the chair and spun me around like a top, blam I hit the ground.
130 lb Rottie can do that real quick! <grin>

Tom

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I spent a year and a half on crutches, through several surgeries being pinned and rodded. The first time I got out of the hospital the Dr. told me not to drive. I showed up at my first appointment with a steel plate duct taped to my cast... so I could shift. If only I had a camera to get a pic of his face when explained. He got a leetle clearer on his instructions after that, though I've never been one to march in line.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Loose screws are ok, it's the extra ones you find left over and don't know where they go - those are the ones you need to worry about. :D

A few years back I ran into a rather large (150lbs) dog that caused a temporary inverse in my gravitational field and broke 5 of my ribs. Two weeks later I borrowed a friends Concours to go on a 600+ mile Gypsy tour, it only hurt when hit a bump but it was the best therapy.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
John posted "A few years back I ran into a rather large (150lbs) dog that caused a temporary inverse in my gravitational field and broke 5 of my ribs. Two weeks later I borrowed a friends Concours to go on a 600+ mile Gypsy tour, it only hurt when hit a bump but it was the best therapy."

Ahhh yes. Recovered or not if we are up and riding life is great.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
grifscoots said:
I spent a year and a half on crutches, through several surgeries being pinned and rodded. The first time I got out of the hospital the Dr. told me not to drive. I showed up at my first appointment with a steel plate duct taped to my cast... so I could shift. If only I had a camera to get a pic of his face when explained. He got a leetle clearer on his instructions after that, though I've never been one to march in line.

This is a long story but I'll make it short, some time aftter my first surgery, several visits falling and brakeing the leg so loose it would wiggle back and forth on the rod through it...........

Ok I'll still in the wheel chair at this time, a long time friend had lost a leg, that once had a rod in it, they gave him his rod back another friend had made a coffin as a gag and he kept this rod in it on his TV, one day my driver stopped by his place on my way to see my doc, I borrowed that rod.
in the docs office I sat patienly and waited (about 1 minute <g>), anyhow the doc walks in the office and I tell him something is loose in my leg, he bebds down to take a closer look at my leg, I shake it with my arm and this rod falls out on the floor! that would have been a funny pic of that docs face when he saw that rod. he craked up after a second walked out of the office showing everyone the rod that fell out of my leg

Yes we can truly be rotten <g>

Tom

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
LOL! Nice one, Tom. Remind me to stay on your good side. ;)

The worst I've ever had in 25+ years of biking is a bit of road rash from wearing jeans and no gloves (Vicodin good), and a cracked/bruised rib from totaling my '99 LT in the UK. The doctors didn't bother to x-ray, because the treatment is the same: try not to move or laugh, and here's more Vicodin. Did I mention that we were in the middle of an international move, plus putting on an all-day feast for a hundred people in a local castle?

I can't imagine going through what some of you have, and I truly respect your need to get back on the bike.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Man Tom, that was funny.

CharlieG, the next time someone asks you why you would want to get back on that God forsaken two wheeled beast, you look-em in the eye, clinch your teeth and say in a raspy voice, "because I can"! :p

·
Registered
855 Posts
charlieg said:
Sounds like a full recovery to me! As for the loose screws, don't we all have a few? Congratulations on the BBG.

By the way, I'm in Ormond most of the time now watchin' the remodel of the house. I thought I saw you ride by a couple of weeks ago. Tried to catch your eye, but I was on the second floor & you didn't see me. If you're interested in gettin' together anytime just PM or email me. I've only got the Triumph here, but I can still ride.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts