BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Recent Threads (select forum) section on the home page ?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  billsmith 
#1 ·
Maybe it's just my imagination, but on my PC, the recent activity of questions and answers or discussions in the K1600 GT/GTL section do not show up here. Is there a reason for this or is it just my PC?

#2 ·
DanDiver said:
Maybe it's just my imagination, but on my PC, the recent activity of questions and answers or discussions in the K1600 GT/GTL section do not show up here. Is there a reason for this or is it just my PC?
Not just your PC, Dan. I asked a similar 'forum' question back in the day and wuz told that not all forums show up on the home page - just select ones. I don't remember what Randy told me that the reason wuz, butt at the time, it made sense. I don't see a coupla other forums either, butt I don't think they get much activity. It may have something to do with the software program that Randy/Andy want to address, either by upgrade or replacement. Maybe one of those guys will check in and answer more specificallyl.

#4 ·
Dan,

Just tried it and seems to work for me. At times I have noticed that some posts take a little while to appear as new posts. For instance I have replied to posts and when I go back to that posts later in the day there are replies ahead of mine that I never saw before.

I am guessing it is just a timing and priority issue. I am quessing that the real time tasks ( viewing ) have priority over background tasks. ( updates )

#5 ·
Hey, Dan - how do you read this site? Meaning, do you read in the Linear mode; the Threaded mode; or the Hybrid mode? I don't know if 'any' mode has an effect on the Home Page display, butt I read the site in the Hybrid mode. I usually pay very little attention to the thread/posts on the Home page - just use that for checking the various other boxed-categories like birthdays, buddy lists, etc. Just below my avatar and above the 'Log Off' line, I click there to go to the hybrid display pages. This allows me to scan up to 40 thread headings (a personal setting I chose) per page, and then either read the entire thread with a click on the subject line, or to read the last post with a click on the box after the last poster's entry. This way, I can refresh this page with a click on the 'New Activity' header and 'since last visit' dialogue line, and be presented with a new page showing bold subject lines for threads I haven't yet read the latest posting, or non-bold lines that I have read. Sounds real confusing when I read what I just typed here, butt it works for me and I don't think I've missed very many posts over the last 11 or so years of hanging out here. YMMV. :) ;)

#7 ·
Dick said:
Hey, Dan - how do you read this site? Meaning, do you read in the Linear mode; the Threaded mode; or the Hybrid mode? I don't know if 'any' mode has an effect on the Home Page display, butt I read the site in the Hybrid mode. I usually pay very little attention to the thread/posts on the Home page - just use that for checking the various other boxed-categories like birthdays, buddy lists, etc. Just below my avatar and above the 'Log Off' line, I click there to go to the hybrid display pages. This allows me to scan up to 40 thread headings (a personal setting I chose) per page, and then either read the entire thread with a click on the subject line, or to read the last post with a click on the box after the last poster's entry. This way, I can refresh this page with a click on the 'New Activity' header and 'since last visit' dialogue line, and be presented with a new page showing bold subject lines for threads I haven't yet read the latest posting, or non-bold lines that I have read. Sounds real confusing when I read what I just typed here, butt it works for me and I don't think I've missed very many posts over the last 11 or so years of hanging out here. YMMV. :) ;)
I did not know there were technical names of the setup of the thread pages.
Until you mention them I never really gave it any thought. Sometimes I scroll down the left of home page to see anything I want to check and when it has been a while I will click on # of threads since last visit. If I am looking for something specific I will go to forums which I have been more of lately since so many LT owners have migrated to the new GTL postings of their own. I was not confused just never heard it put that way.
ride safe :bmw:

#8 ·
DanDiver said:
I too get the PC blues at times.
I have opened a thread only too have screens jump on me and lose it. Or may have written a thread lose it and had to do it all over again as much as 3 times. We can't be all good at all things. I caught this computer thing late in my career :histerica :histerica
ride safe :bmw:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.