BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently completed a rad flush and had a hell of a time getting the rad cap off.

I can't seem to get the cap installed. I read somewhere that a "regular" one can be used to get a better and newer seal.

The one I have does not look to be the original one.

On the cap, it says 1.5 and the numbers: 17.11-7 675 523. ( is the 1.5 for the bar??) if so its seems to high.

What if I put a 16 psi cap on instead of the 21 psi BMW uses?? What would happen??

I might just wait till I do the shocks (spring change) to remove the gas tank and reinstall the rad cap.

Any suggestions or reference would be helpful.

Remember, I am in Canada and we don't have the selection you guys do in the US, so be gentle!!

Regards,

Bowdon

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,115 Posts
1.5 bar is correct. It is most likely the original. I had no issues with mine but then I had the tank off. I do remember it was a bear to remove.
Not sure of the impact of a lesser pressure cap but 16 vs. 21 is not a significant difference.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
You may want to try an electric heat gun on low to warm it up first. Once they've been on for a long time the rubber seal tends to harden, take a "set" and stick to the neck.

Any mini cap of 1.5 bar will work just fine. I've replaced mine with a Stant brand and no worries in extreme heat. I seem to remember it was around $5.00 new... ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
A pressure cap rating of 1.5 Bar is approximately equal to a rating of 21 psi. A rating of 16 psi may be too low to prevent boiling under severe conditions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts