BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured I'd post the pictures of the kit and as i get suggestions for the install
I will post them as well...

5000K H7 Kit being installed on 2002 LT

:dance:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
That's the exact same kit I put in my '02 - looks like.

Joe (Messenger13) did a 'how to' document awhile back, right? It's gotta be 'round here someplace.

It's really pretty easy to do!

----------------
EDIT

While, not exactly what I was looking for - some good info!

meese said:
Hey Jeff,

Check the Lighting forum for several good threads, including pics and detailed instructions. Look here, here, here, and here.

·
Registered
326 Posts
5000K bulb

Jerry - it's not too bad of a job, just take your time. However, that 5K bulb will put out a blueish color light. If you have the chance, you may want to consider putting in a 3200.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
The 4200K is the ideal temperature color, but 5000K will still be fine. I installed the same CQ kit on my 03 (both low and high beams), on my 05, and on Doug's 05.
You can do it without removing any tupperware and be done in under an hour.:thumb:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Joe (Messenger 13) posted the instructions for installing the CQ HID kit in the "Articles" section of the website. Joe shows how to use the two empty holes in the grommet to pass the power leads to the stock bulb socket. This replaces the step in the earlier instructions that required you to cut a notch in the edge of the headlight housing.

Here's a link to the article: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=16

You're going to like that HID low beam.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All done!

Thank you all for the assiatance.

I started off trying to do it without removing the tuppaware and decided I needed to do a better job if I was going to post it sooooo :histerica

I used the two additional holes to pass the socket connections through

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did the upgrade awhile back using Messinger 13's pic's and instructions and had no problems, best 75 dollars I have ever spent.
I went with the 5000k bulb and it has a faint blue color to it when you first turn it on, but in about 15 to 20 seconds after it has warmed up it is a diamond white light. About the same brightness of a flash bulb on a camera.
Don't throw your old bulb away, in the unlikely event your HID bulb fails, pull the dead bulb put the old halogen bulb back in, unplug the leads on the ballast, since they originally went to the back of the old halogen bulb and you can see till you get a replacement, which reminds me. You won't know how you ever put up with the halogen. Check out Messenger 13's directions and pictures and go look at that area of your bike. Some have taken the nose cone off to do it, but Joe's got big hands and he doe's it in about 20 to 30 mins, took me 45 mins.
Do the low beam and you will hardly ever use the stock high beam. Some have done both, but being able to put it in without taking the nose cone off worked for me. If you can think of any questions, shoot Joe or Messenger 13 a message, he helped me, it just looks scary, it's really easy.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts