BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just had the Wilbers front & rear rebuilt for the 2nd time. They feel vey nice (as usual).

Previously when they went on new and after the first rebuild, the bike continued to be very easy for me to put up on the center stand (I use the c-stand almost exclusively). This time, it was like the bike has a partial flat on the rear and very tough to put up on the c-stand...some of you may know the feeling...the bike is impossible to put up on the center stand when it has a full flat rear.

So, what can be wrong? These shocks are fully adjustable, the the rebound + hi/lo compression on the rear are internal jet adjustments, not overall spring/height adjustments. I have tried with no benefit the pre-load at fully off and at 1/2 load (I never had it past here before with the Wilburs, even when riding 2-up, fully loaded to Brekenridge from Philly).

Ideas?

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Uh-oh, Ralph. That doesn't sound good. They must not have reset the same amount of spring preload. You know, those big threaded rings that hold the spring on. That's what really adjusts the suspension sag. The hydraulic preload is just a fine-tune, plus or minus a few millimeters what the spring preload is set to. As a guestimate, if you know another LT rider with Wilbers, you could count the number of exposed threads on their shock and compare it to your count. While their's could be set up differently than yours, at least you'll be able to tell if yours is in the same range -- within a turn or two. Either way, you're going to need to have a chat with the folks that rebuilt them. Not what you wanted to hear, I know. :(

-joel

1 - 2 of 2 Posts