BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the front brake master cylinder rebuilt today. The manual says to remove the heating wires. That's easier said then done. I pry the gap open enough to remove the master cylinder then file the gap so I don't need to pry it to reinstall it that way I don't need to remove the wires.

I didn't see anything wrong with the old seals & the front brake now feels like it did before the brake lever went to the handle bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
I assume there is no way to disassemble without pulling the MC housing off the bike?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gordon, I'll look and see tomorrow night before I put it back together if there is anyway it can be done while on the handle bars.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
OK, normally, if the manual says to do it in a certain way, there is a reason. I will go get my book and read through it myself too.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It can probably be done on the handle bar. You will have to modify the snap ring pliers but you have to do that anyway even if you do it in a vice.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
OK, good information. I have already fished the right side heating wire out as i damaged it by pulling too hard trying to get enough slack to clean the throttle goo from underneath causing it to stick and be hard to turn. The trick is to tie a string to it so you have something to pull it back through :) Probably requires additional disassembly to get to those plugs and the hole in the handle bars. I think I would do the same as you and not pull all that apart if I didn't have to. PM received.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It turns out it was not the front brake master brake cylinder after all. The left front brake pad had delaminated from the disc brake pad & fell off. If I had kept pumping the brake lever I would have regained front braking.

When it happened I was afraid to keep pumping the front brake lever in case it was a rupture spilling brake fluid that could have got under the tires. This also explains why I didn't see anything wrong with the master cylinder.

This is my back & forth to work bike that I ride on icy, snowy & salted roads in the winter. I also have used mixed brake pads that I have removed from other LT's that I work on it. I have no idea of the brand of pad that failed or how old it was.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It turns out it was not the front brake master brake cylinder after all. The left front brake pad had delaminated from the disc brake pad & fell off. If I had kept pumping the brake lever I would have regained front braking.

When it happened I was afraid to keep pumping the front brake lever in case it was a rupture spilling brake fluid that could have got under the tires. This also explains why I didn't see anything wrong with the master cylinder.

This is my back & forth to work bike that I ride on icy, snowy & salted roads in the winter. I also have used mixed brake pads that I have removed from other LT's that I work on it. I have no idea of the brand of pad that failed or how old it was.
Very glad you updated the info on this issue.
Initially, I had assumed your front master-cylinder was an "unlucky" exception as there has been VERY FEW repair needed on the K1200RS forum (for last 13 years).

However, it is important to mention that the older type Master-cylinder as installed on K1100xx, R1100xx are prone to leak and inside bore corrosion with age. So it does look like BMW and Magura learned something useful in designing the newer type front master-cylinders to make them more reliable. These are mainly found on on R1150xx, R1200C, K1200RS/LT and early R1200RT.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts

Wow, too bad you didn't find that before all that work. Swapping out a pad set is so much easier ;)

Reactions: saddleman

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
The left front brake pad had delaminated from the disc brake pad & fell off
I had a pad delaminate on or motor home . We got back from a trip, I put the RV in the shed, and found a big piece of brake pad on the shed floor. I thought , this isn't good. :wave

I decided I better just change the pads on all four wheels. Our local Freightliner dealer didn't have pads on hand I ended up having to go an hour and a half away to get 4 sets.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is a picture of the disc pad with the sintered braking material missing. There are no shiny spots because it never touched the brake rotor.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
Here is a picture of the disc pad with the sintered braking material missing. There are no shiny spots because it never touched the brake rotor.
Man that pad plate looks pretty rough. I hope it looked better than that when it went on ;)

Reactions: Patric
1 - 12 of 12 Posts