BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered if anyone has ripped into this unit. 5 years so far and finally the dreaded hesitation in reverse. About 4 feet per time. Checked for the well known obvious faults, but nothing amiss. Annoying but could be worse.
I can feel the relay operating, but wondered if non-working components could be replaced.
Replacing whole assemblies rather than components is now the mechanical norm.
Cost aside, seems a waste of resources to me.
Looking forward to hearing from you electronic guru's.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
Hilton,

Usually that is NOT a symptom of the controller but rather one of the sensors that feeds the controller. Most often a short run will be caused by the speed sensor. I would try that first.

The thing is just dead if the controller goes out. You can do a poor man's fix by using a Ford starter relay to power the starter motor once you have the reverse gears engaged.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John, your thoughts are welcomed. Removed the speed sensor as part of my clutch rebuild, however the hesitation symptoms had begun prior to this work. Not sure if it was just coincidence but began after a tip-over from wind to the right. Thought it may have been the connector on that side but checked and it seemed fine.
Is there any way to check the function of this sensor ? Resistance maybe ? I'll check the continuity again.
Cheers

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,119 Posts
Not sure how to test it. I think it operates on reluctance like a cam or crank position sensor. I can't get to mine to look at as we 1300 miles apart until this weekend.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hilton said:
Thought it may have been the connector on that side but checked and it seemed fine.
Cheers
Hilton - How did you check the condition of connector? ("Seemed fine"). Mine did too but it was crap. Just by removing the connector and welding the wires (from connector to harness) I got rid of the problems with reverse. The problems were just similar to yours.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks CAD. As removing the speed sensor was required for my clutch work, I just visually checked the wire loom / connector and when reassembling used some dielectric grease. Over the years I must have done this to 90% of my connectors, never had electric issues until this. Bike and I are 10,000 kms apart now but will use my multi-meter when I can to electrically check this system more carefully.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Hilton said:
Bike and I are 10,000 kms apart now
Nothing like making fixing your bike difficult, I find being up close works best for me. I've heard of remote viewing, but remote fixing, what will you guys think of next.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts