BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a company / person that rebuilds the stock steering damper for an LT?

Thanks!

·
Registered
313 Posts
There's a very good thread in the HOW on how to do the rebuild. I followed it and spent a grand total of $14 for the two new oil seals. My only problem was that I left a spacer out when I put it back on the bike and crushed the inner cylinder with the fork mount bolt. Needless to say, the freshly rebuilt damper was ruined so in sheer exasperation with myself and just bought a new one. But the rebuild itself was no big deal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Where did you find the new oil seals? Were they the outer ones? What size are they?

·
Registered
313 Posts
robasay said:
Where did you find the new oil seals? Were they the outer ones? What size are they?
I took an old one to my local bearing/seal supplier and they were able to order me 2 and had them to me in just a couple of days. I want to say they were $14, but they might have been $17. I know I gave them a $20 bill and got change back. If you have a seal that still has the numbers visible they can match it for you. If not, PM me and I can get you the numbers off the one I goobered up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have extra steering damper seals. If you wish for me to ship a couple to you, PM me.
$5.00 should cover the seals and shipping.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think he mixed up Wolfstudio's join date and the post date.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi folks
Need to buy seals for the damper 06 Lt, if you have one that will work PM me, interested in buying hard to find in my area

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Go to 14wntr reply. Click on free k1200lt maintenance videos. Kirk has an excellent video on how to do a rebuild.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Kirk. I'm just dropping a line to say thanks again for the excellent DIY k1200lt videos. They really are helpful. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts