BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am reassembling the clutch on my 01 LT (94K miles) after replacing the main seal and O-ring. When I took the clutch assembly off, I marked the cover, pressure plate and housing (per Clymer p166) so that I would be able to maintain its original orientation. Now for the life of me, I cannot find the marks!

It seems to me that the clutch housing and housing cover are balanced items, since they each have several holes drilled in them (which I assume is to fine tune the weight distribution). So it really shouldn't matter how they are aligned. Also, the pressure plate is re-oriented 120 degrees from its original position during reassembly (Clymer p170).

Is there a way to determine the correct orientation of the three components at this point?

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
sully2028 said:
I am reassembling the clutch on my 01 LT (94K miles) after replacing the main seal and O-ring. When I took the clutch assembly off, I marked the cover, pressure plate and housing (per Clymer p166) so that I would be able to maintain its original orientation. Now for the life of me, I cannot find the marks!

It seems to me that the clutch housing and housing cover are balanced items, since they each have several holes drilled in them (which I assume is to fine tune the weight distribution). So it really shouldn't matter how they are aligned. Also, the pressure plate is re-oriented 120 degrees from its original position during reassembly (Clymer p170).

Is there a way to determine the correct orientation of the three components at this point?
I believe that BMW balances the clutch housing as an assembly. That is why you want to put it back with the same orientation, using marks to document the orignal orientation. If you have lost the marks (I too have done that on Airheads) you just have to take your chances and assemble the parts trusting your luck. You may not be able to detect any difference if you don't get the original orientation, but you might end up with a slight imbalance. The only other option that I can think of is to have the clutch assembly rebalanced.

HTH

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The unverified rumor that my wife is spreading, is that the dumbass that did my clutch (me) MAY have lost his original marks too. Put it back together as best I could, and narry a problem. No vibration at all. So far. That was about 9,000 miles ago.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,942 Posts
Look for yellow paint marks, but don't worry too much. I could not get mine 120 degrees apart (two of the three were new with clear marks) and it never showed any vibration.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
jzeiler said:
Look for yellow paint marks, but don't worry too much. I could not get mine 120 degrees apart (two of the three were new with clear marks) and it never showed any vibration.
I concur... its easier on the mind when you have it marked, but when I did mine I did not mark it. I took the two new pieces and put them in as opposed as I could... all worked for me...

·
Registered
530 Posts
Dan....I'm like all the others....went with the 120 offset and put it back together with no noticeable vibes or imbalance.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey THANKS everybody.

I will align the clutch plates as best I can and go with it!

Am waiting for parts from Chicago BMW (they still give a 20% discount) and expect to reassemble everything starting next week I have MMS (multiple motorcycle syndrome) so am riding my OTHER LT while this one is on the lift.

Folks should know that I used Kenny BlauBeeMr's writeup on the Main Seal Replacement as a "bible" in this job. Also used Kevin Cook's writeup on drilling the weep hole (and John Zeiler's video, which I filmed last year with him). And of course, Clymer and the Shop Manual.

I am going a little farther in the rebuild than the clutch/main seal replacement. For about 40K now I have been blowing smoke out the exhaust when accelerating. I had low compression in cylinder #2 so I also took off the cylinder head to have that revamped (valves turned out to seat ok, but am getting valve stem seals) and new rings on piston 2.

I decided to get some help from my local mechanic (have known him over 20 years and he is excellent). John Zeiler said the rear pinion seal is a bear to replace, so I am having my mechanic do it.

I have been taking a lot of pictures, and will continue to do so through the re-assembly. I expect to post them on Picasa when done so all can relive my experience.

Thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts