BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to post something positive about rear wheel drives. I have a 03 K1200, 31k miles. Just changed oil and rear wheel drive lube. The rear wheel drive plug magnet only had slush and no metal chips. I put a magnet in the lube that was drained out of the unit and again no metal chips could be seen with the naked eye.
Reading all of the post about rear wheel drive failures has caused me to worry that I am going to experience a failure while on a long trip. Seeing the chip free lube from my bike has given me some ease and hope that mine will not fail. None the less, I will change lube when I change engine oil and get an idea of its condition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Arthur said:
I just wanted to post something positive about rear wheel drives. I have a 03 K1200, 31k miles. Just changed oil and rear wheel drive lube. The rear wheel drive plug magnet only had slush and no metal chips. I put a magnet in the lube that was drained out of the unit and again no metal chips could be seen with the naked eye.
Reading all of the post about rear wheel drive failures has caused me to worry that I am going to experience a failure while on a long trip. Seeing the chip free lube from my bike has given me some ease and hope that mine will not fail. None the less, I will change lube when I change engine oil and get an idea of its condition.

I see you changed the lub in the rear drive....What lub did you use? Did you do the job yourself???..............I've been looking for this information....but have come up short???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Arthur said:
Arthur, I'm a novis with the BMW could you tell me what lub you used in the final drive and
where you obtained it???? Did you do the job yourself???

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Rightrudder2 said:
Arthur, I'm a novis with the BMW could you tell me what lub you used in the final drive and
where you obtained it???? Did you do the job yourself???
Just go to your dealer and buy a quart of BMW synthetic gear oil. You'll be good for two changes. Buy a spare for possible spillage.

Robert

·
Registered
148 Posts
eljeffe said:
With 127 failure reports in our survey, it appears that you are pretty safe on a 2003 or newer LT.

Your survey missed my 2006 LT, the rear drive took a shit at 48,000 miles. I always changed the rear drive oil with the engine oil. The ring gear & seal needed replacing for $394.00

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
billr said:
Your survey missed my 2006 LT, the rear drive took a shit at 48,000 miles. I always changed the rear drive oil with the engine oil. The ring gear & seal needed replacing for $394.00
Maybe because this thread was started in 2005... And the OP has not been on the site for over a year.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Rightrudder has been resurecting final drive threads from as far back as 2005 and asking about what kind of lube to use in the final drive. The question has been answered in recent threads several times. I hope he is finding what he is looking for.

I rather enjoy reading the old threads, although what we knew about final drive failures back then pales in light of present understanding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts