BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

So I've been riding Motorcycles for a very long time and this has never happened to me before.

I rode to Santa Cruz on Highway 17, those of you who know that road know how twisted it is.

I get to downtown Santa Cruz and everything is fine. I park the bike & go into a Records/Vinyl store to look at the vintage stereo equipment they sell.

I come out, start the bike and all of a sudden the bike is wobbling/has serious wobble, I thought maybe I have a flat tire, I check but the tires are fine. I ride slowly but there is significant wobble. I park it again and check and find out that the rear wheel is almost off the bike, the 5 bolts that hold wheel in place had (for some reason/this never happened before) come loose and 2 of the bolts fell off/were missing. I walk around a bit and find one of the bolts few feet away, I walk around for 30 minutes looking for the other bolt but could not find it.

I secure the wheel with the 4 bolts and tighten it. And I start thinking that if that wheel had come loose or came completely off while I was riding at Highway speeds & in those twists and turns on highway 17, I would have been gone, as in dead or worse seriously injured/paralyzed. Luckily it came very loose after I parked the bike & was going very slow.

Then when I got to my storage unit & tried to leave the battery was dead and the bike will not start. So I had to find someone with jumper cables to help me.

I re-tighten the 4 screws on the wheel again.

I checked them a day later/today and they were still tight.

So I have 2 questions:

1- Did this ever happen to anyone before, where the bolts came loose ? And how to prevent that ?

2- Does anyone have a spare bolt and the slanted spacer/Washer that goes around the bolt (not sure how to describe it) to secure the wheel, that they don't need ?

If not, where to get one ? I am sure the dealer is very expensive.

It has been suggested that someone had loosened the bolts on the wheel, otherwise the wooble would come on gradually....as the bolts became loose...... not all of a sudden as it did.

But I don't know who would just happen to have the right tool to loosen the bolts and why.

Any ideas/comments ?

Thank you so much.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,592 Posts
Yes, it has happened before. Check out this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/73898-rear-wheel-almost-fell-off.html
Most likely, whoever installed your wheel the last time did not correctly torque the bolts. The torque values are as follows:
Initial tightening is 50 Nm (50ft/lbs)
Final tightening is 105Nm (77 ft/lbs)
When I had my LT, I could not believe they had to be that tight, but they do. I also may have read that the bolts should be installed dry, meaning no anti-seize on the threads.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Most likely, whoever installed your wheel the last time did not correctly torque the bolts. The torque values are as follows:
When I had my LT, I could not believe they had to be that tight, but they do. I also may have read that the bolts should be installed dry, meaning no anti-seize on the threads.
Correct on all counts. +1

Reactions: Tricky_dickey

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your reply.

I had the rear tire replaced few months ago. I brought in the wheel to the shop and they installed the new tire which was flat and I reinstalled it on the bike and tightened the bolts with the wrench that is in the tool kit.

Mind you I have done the same thing before, when I replaced the tire....I tightened the bolts myself and never had this issue before.

So not having a wrench that shown the torque, how do I tighten these enough without breaking anything by over tightening ?

Thank you

·
Registered
4,254 Posts

I had the rear tire replaced few months ago. I brought in the wheel to the shop and they installed the new tire which was flat and I reinstalled it on the bike and tightened the bolts with the wrench that is in the tool kit.

Mind you I have done the same thing before, when I replaced the tire....I tightened the bolts myself and never had this issue before.

So not having a wrench that shown the torque, how do I tighten these enough without breaking anything by over tightening ?

Thank you
Go to a Harbor Freight tools center and buy one or order one off Amazon. It is something you should have if you are going to service the bike yourself.

Reactions: beech

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
If they are torqued correctly you cannot loosen them with the supplied wrench without standing on it. Seriously for $9.95 you can get a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive torque wrench at HF. Then a 17 mm deep socket and you will never have to worry about the wheel falling off.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts

Thank you
You can't. You need to invest in a decent torque wrench or hire someone to do your tire work. "Farmer tight" doesn't wok for critical fasteners like these.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If they are torqued correctly you cannot loosen them with the supplied wrench without standing on it. Seriously for $9.95 you can get a 3/8 or 1/2 inch drive torque wrench at HF. Then a 17 mm deep socket and you will never have to worry about the wheel falling off.
So if I tighten them with a torque wrench and you say I can't loosen them without standing on the wrench (which there is no room to do so/no room to stand on a wrench to loosen the bolts/in that direction), how do I remove the bolts when I need to remove them?

I assume with the same torque wrench ?

I know it maybe a stupid question but wanted to make sure.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I carry a foot-long piece of water pipe that fits over the end of the standard tool for the leverage needed to get them undone. :grin:

... at home I use a 3-foot piece as its even easier

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I carry a foot-long piece of water pipe that fits over the end of the standard tool for the leverage needed to get them undone. :grin:

... at home I use a 3-foot piece as its even easier
I can do that but everyone here says I have to use a Torque wrench.

With the pipe piece, do I just tighten it till it stops....I don't want to break it or strip it ??

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Come on AJ you can't be that silly,, tighten the nuts with the torque wrench and UN DO them with the pipe or what ever if they are too tight.. I have never used anything but the tools in the tool bag to undo wheel nuts, having said this I am the only person who works on my bike.

Reactions: tvguy

·
Registered
3,219 Posts

With the pipe piece, do I just tighten it till it stops....I don't want to break it or strip it ??
heh, heh... looks like my original "quote" of your question about undoing them got lost.... Axle is correct, I was only saying to UNDO them with a pipe piece. Use the torque wrench to do it up if possible. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've had to R & R the rear wheel in the field before, and I was able to remove the wheel without a cheater bar no problem.
Put the wheel back on & used my foot on the lug wrench to get the bolts good and tight. When I got home I applied the proper torque.

The correct torque & torque sequence is located in the owners manual that should be kept with the bike at all times.

The thought of not applying the correct torque to the wheel bolts never even crossed my mind.........

I also recheck the wheel torque annually.

Seems like a lot of new owners are doing their "own maintenance" these days.
I just hope no one gets hurt, or worse.

·
Cat Herder
1,441 Posts

Ok, OK... we are being punked here... Nobody can be that stupid. (yeah, I said it)
Buy an expensive torque wrench. Spend more than $80. Go to Sears if you have to. A torque wrench will save your life.

DO NOT GOT TO HARBOR FREIGHT.

·
Premium Member
339 Posts
I lost a wheel on a Corvair 95. It was purchased by a friend of mine and I was driving it home for him. Long straight road and the front left dropped. The wheel rolled up the highway. No strange feel to the vehicle until the wheel came off. Back tracking we found three of five lug nuts. Strange that there was no for warning.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
So if I tighten them with a torque wrench and you say I can't loosen them without standing on the wrench (which there is no room to do so/no room to stand on a wrench to loosen the bolts/in that direction), how do I remove the bolts when I need to remove them?

I assume with the same torque wrench ?

I know it maybe a stupid question but wanted to make sure.
My standard tool kit came with a screw driver and a plastic tool to unscrew the antenna, so I had to add real tools for everything. I carry a 1/2" breaker bar with a short extension (I think 3") and the 17 mm socket. Never use a torque wrench to remove a fastener. Search the net on torque wrench. There are many good articles on how, and how not, to use them.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If you have a quality torque wrench, you will know to only use it to put on the nut or bolt.
It is easy enough to break a torque wrench using it to remove a bolt... That is why God created breaker bars.

All of my Snap-On torque wrenches are directional and there is a arrow on the handle.
When you spend several hundred dollars on a wrench, you treat it very well. I treasure mine.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi,

So is there a consensus here on how much torque to apply to these bolts ?

And do I use Locktite or not ?

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts